Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   question regarding scratches (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/53906-question-regarding-scratches.html)

PowderMonkey 01-12-2013 12:20 AM

question regarding scratches

I just got a new board(my first!) and I put it on my hardwood floor and put on my boots and it slid just a TINY bit. Like an inch or two when I was strapped in. Now there are a few scratches on the bottom of the board! :( I can't believe how easily it scratched. Will this make any difference in the performance of my brand new board? Are my edges ruined?

herzogone 01-12-2013 12:32 AM

Yes, it's toast. Also, boards are made of hazardous materials that cost a fortune to dispose of properly, but I'll do you a favor and take care of it. You just have to ship it to me. ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure you'll soon have much worse from riding. My first day on my brand new board I gouged the base deeper than I have since. Unless it's a core shot or you bent your edges, I wouldn't do anything.

PowderMonkey 01-12-2013 12:39 AM

LOL.... I guess I'm being paranoid. It's Just I know little about snowboards and HATE seeing a BUNCH of scratches before I even get a chance to use it! How do you know if your edges are bent? They look normal to me. I looked very closely and what's a core shot?

herzogone 01-12-2013 01:17 AM

A core shot basically refers to any damage that exposes the core of the board (wood in most cases). These you usually want to repair quickly because exposed wood absorbs moisture which can rapidly lead to further damage. From the base, it usually takes a significant gouge, like from hitting a rock at speed, to penetrate both the p-tex base material and the bottom layer of fiberglass. I'm sure you didn't do one skidding your board on the floor. I'm sure your edges are fine as well from what you described. It takes a significant impact to bend an edge. I can relate to being obsessive about keeping my stuff pristine, but I've found with experience that it's liberating to just enjoy riding and not worry about it. I'd much rather go snowboarding than have a flawless snowboard.

G Steezy 01-12-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderMonkey (Post 570730)
LOL.... I guess I'm being paranoid. It's Just I know little about snowboards and HATE seeing a BUNCH of scratches before I even get a chance to use it!

You do know that boards are MADE to be ruined right? You use this piece of equipment to literally glide over rock and sticks and people place immense pressure on them for the sake of looking cool on a rail. 175 pounds on average distributed evenly across a piece of wood balancing on a bar centered under the board while it's sliding across it?

You better believe that your shit is going to get wrecked.

kev711 02-08-2013 12:44 PM

i totally understand since it's your first board and you're afraid of ruining it but everyone on here made great points. the bases are made to be be put under a LOT of abuse....anywhere from boxes, metal rails, rocks and branches on the trails and chunks of hard ice. you'll get used to it..we all do