Binding angle stance - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airblaster503 View Post
What is your stance width set at right now? And how tall are you?
Does height dictate stance width or binding angle? I just kind of stood where I was comfortable and set it about shoulder width apart.

Not arguing, serious question, I have no clue.
SuperNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

As stated, nothing is right and nothing i wrong. If it works well for you then stick to it, but it doesn't hurt once in a while to test different setup.

As a Snowboard instructor in our small snowboard academy we recommend beginners to use duck stance. Something like +15/-8.

I started years ago with snowboarding. Then it was something like +20/+9 and keeping both hand forward like carrying a tray.

Now I am running +15/-15 on my park board (Salomon Drift rocker) since landing and riding requires switch. On my all mountain board (Nitro Team Gullwing) I have used +15/-8 but planning to change to same setup as in the park.

The only time I can feel a bit of a problem is in the button lift (don't know if that is the proper name - you have a round plats between your legs). With +15/+15 it sometimes feels like it will slip. Good part is that I can change between riding regular/switch.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

An easy way to find out how wide your stance should be - or at least something to start with.

Take a big jump straight up and land as steady as you can. The width you have when landing is the width of your stance. This is when your are as strongest.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post
I know for sure I don't like duck because it strains/is uncomfortable for my mcl(no prior injury) on my back leg. It's totally dependent on the physiology of the individual. I'm ok when totally square to the board, but if I look down the mountain with a little shoulder/hip rotation, forget it. My toes don't naturally point out when I turn my body/rotate my shoulders in a snowboarding position. I can do squats ok in a slight duck stance, but that's because my entire body is facing completely forward with no rotation.
Your basic snowboarding position should be totally square to the board. You should be rotating your head, not your body/shoulders.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Your basic snowboarding position should be totally square to the board. You should be rotating your head, not your body/shoulders.
I know what you mean, but that would make for a REALLY sore neck when riding duck for me. LOL No thanks. Not for me.

I don't agree for positions outside of duck. If that were true, then EVERYONE that has a forward lean is not snowboarding correctly including alpine racers. Their not square to the board....they have a lean. They way their strapped in means their body is rotated already naturally so they don't have to crank their neck or body to look forward.

Last edited by PowderMonkey; 01-12-2013 at 09:35 PM.
PowderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
PowderMonkey
as was mentioned and you stated you really need to find a stance that works for you. I ride duck and love it. I have been messing with my angles to see if I can get a better stance. I ended up having pain with certain angles. So I slowly played with them and found one that felt a little better.
give it some time and try different angles till you find one that works for your riding/body
Sounds like sound advice. Just totally personal to the individual which stance is best for them. Just going to have to experiment a little

Last edited by PowderMonkey; 01-12-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

I think a mild duck might work me!(+9, -9) But the only thing is you have to stay completely parallel to the board. I figured that out. That was what was tweaking my knee. So you'd have to be pretty good already, which I'm not. lol I'll have to do some more playing to figure out what's best for me. Does anybody who ride duck have their neck hurt after hours on the mountain? Why do few people set their binding around 0,0?

Last edited by PowderMonkey; 01-13-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post
Does anybody who ride duck have their neck hurt after hours on the mountain? Why do few people set their binding around 0,0?
No the only thing that hurts after a few hours is my legs from leaning back so much after a few hours in deep powder.

0/0 is just unnatural to me, my feet naturally go a little duck if I'm just standing there. I think I have read somewhere you don't get any leverage for turns or something along those lines. That said if you feel comfortable riding 0/0 just do it, no one will care.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Your toes need to point out each direction to open up the inside of your legs, that way you can squat more naturally and get down into a stance.
+9/-9 is the stance I set up for beginers, start with that. You could always try +15/0 as this is what used to be recommended for beginers.

Adjust from there until its comfortable, but always keep the front foot with a larger number than the rear (or equal), and a minimum number of 15 adding the 2 angles together (ignore the +/- for this).
NorthCoastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

I asked about your stance width. If it is to narrow it could be causing you problems with your knee. Most people that are new to snowboarding ride a stance that is way to narrow.

Also you are complaining about your neck hurting when using proper form on a snowboard. Maybe you should try skiing so you don't have to worry about it. Or learn how to deal with pain, because if you continue to grow in the sport you a probably going to experience much worse.
airblaster503 is offline   Reply With Quote