larger board then usual - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
spykes

Default larger board then usual

hey guys i got my hands on a rome anthem 158, but i only weigh about 130lbs Yeah i know it's larger then I expected. Just it looks so nice im wondering what is the disadvantage to having a larger board then my weight, and also my legs are stronger then most of my friends that weighing 180lbs. Im thinking of keeping it as a pow board and a general mountain then using my 151 neversummer as a park board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its stiffer. Thats pretty much about it...my brother weighs 130-140 and rides a 157 Prospect without any problems.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
spykes

hmm you think i would have problems doing butters? Since it is stiffer think it would be for me to do a press? Kinda sucks season is over and i can't take the board out for a spin lol.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

have you tried binding yourself in on the carpet and seeing how it flexs?
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

As long as you are going to keep it for a powder board you should be fine. But for the park you might have some problems turning the board. And I do agree the board looks great. Congrats.

One question I didn't know they made the Anthem in 158, on their website they go from 155 to 156 to 159.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
spykes

ha sorry i don't know, but i think it was a 158 because that was how it was sold to me. i bought it for my friend, but then i saw the board and couldn't resist so i wanna keep it for myself LOL. BTW can you explain to me how weight = better turning? I really don't get the concept, it is not that your wrong, just i don't understand why i wouldn't be able to turn when i output more leg power then my friend who weighs more then me.

Dude im gonna strap my self in tonight and see if i could pop a ollie on the carpet!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
spykes

hey dude you got me thinking so i went out and measured the board. It is a 156 which is 61.5 inches. Maybe i wouldn;t have that difficult of a time now. Contact area is 50 inches. my 151 NS has a 48 inch contact.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykes View Post
hey dude you got me thinking so i went out and measured the board. It is a 156 which is 61.5 inches. Maybe i wouldn;t have that difficult of a time now. Contact area is 50 inches. my 151 NS has a 48 inch contact.
You will notice a difference but it shouldn't be unmanageable. I rode my 153 for a good part of the winter and just last weekend I broke my 158 back out. It was a little rougher in the trees but it HAULED ASS and did great in the pow!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
alf

I weigh 130 and ride a 155. The Anthem might be a little stiffer than my board, but I can't imagine it being a problem. I was still learning to link turns when I started riding my board.
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykes View Post
ha sorry i don't know, but i think it was a 158 because that was how it was sold to me. i bought it for my friend, but then i saw the board and couldn't resist so i wanna keep it for myself LOL. BTW can you explain to me how weight = better turning? I really don't get the concept, it is not that your wrong, just i don't understand why i wouldn't be able to turn when i output more leg power then my friend who weighs more then me.

Dude im gonna strap my self in tonight and see if i could pop a ollie on the carpet!
Weight=better turning because more weight=more board flex. When you turn your board flexes under your feet so if it is a really stiff board or is out of your weight range you will not be able to flex it as well making it harder to pull a sharp turn and in extreme cases hold an edge. A board that is too stiff or too soft can also make choppy/bumpy terrain a little hectic.