Suggestion for beginner female snowboard - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLegoGal View Post
My boot size is 8. My budget is under $500 for the board itself. I was looking at a 145 but my cousin was telling me to go for a 141 which the weight limit says 120lbs. He says it's easier to snowboard on a shorter board?
Okay I have the same boot size, so we're nearly identical in stats. I would not get a 141. Way too short. With weight ranges, you want to stay more towards the middle of the range than either end of it. A 145 would be better.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'll second the Never Summer recommendation. I'm similar is stats to you (5'6", 115lbs, 7.5 foot) and started last season on a low end rocker board. By midseason I was frustrated as hell because all my friends were passing me and I thought I just sucked at boarding. Tried a couple of friends' boards out and realized that some of my problems were definitely being caused (or at least exacerbated) by my board.

After some research I wound up opting for the Never Summer Pandora 145 and I've never looked back. I caught up to my friends in about 3 trips out with the new board and it was just amazing how much more confident I was and how much more fun I was having. I've found it's a lot better on ice than my previous board, rides super smooth on chop, and is still long enough for me that I don't run into major issues in powder. I was also pretty impressed at the durability. I took it out at least 10 times after getting it in the middle of the season and it still looked new.

I went for the Pandora over the Infinity because I wanted the extra flex since I have an extremely slender build and not a lot of muscle. I'm also just not a particularly aggressive rider. If you have a more athletic build, the something a bit stiffer like the Infinity might be a better choice.

I also agree with the others that a 141 would be too short. You might like it at first but I think you would ultimately find it limiting. Especially on trips out west.
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do you have any opportunities to demo boards where you are? Check your local shops and hills for demo days. Before dropping $500 on a board, see if you like it first.

If your shops and hills have demo days, let us know if you can what brands will be available. From that list it'll be easy to give you some models from each to demo, etc.

Are you completely sold on Burton or are you open to other brands?
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hey, I'm also a beginner with stats similar to yours (although a bit heavier).

I had started my board research with Burton as well, but then found that there are a lot of other great boards to choose from. I am eyeing a K2 Lunatique right now, which I've been told would be great to learn and progress on. It's from last year so should be good deal if you can still find one. Another one to look into would be the GNU B-Nice, people seem to like it and it's also a beginner-friendly board.

And... if I was made of money, I might go for a NS Pandora after seeing how much girls on here who have one LOVE it NS is kind of out of my budget though and maybe not as beginner-friendly as the others

If you are set on Burton, I will repeat what the others said: the Feather looks good. Demos are your friend too

Do you already have your boots? As the wise ones on this forum say, the boots are way more important than the board. But, moot point if you already found the perfect pair.
Varza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

a feather or social in the 144cm range would be fine for you while learning/beginner the lipstick is a high end, high performance stick designed for an upper level rider
sixpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varza View Post
NS is kind of out of my budget though and maybe not as beginner-friendly as the others
I kind of felt this way when I was contemplating buying the Pandora but I wasn't a total beginner anyway (I was doing blue and black runs by the time I got it) so I went for it. It was totally worth the extra money and if I could go back in time and skip buying the beginner board at the start of last season and get the Pandora instead I'd do it every time.

I'm sitting out this season because I'm pregnant and am letting a friend with similar stats use my setup this year. Even though she's just as cautious a rider as I am, she was linking turns by the end of her very first day on the mountain this past weekend. So the board certainly did not seem to be holding her back at all and from talking to her she didn't feel like she was having any more trouble with her board than the others in her beginner lesson.

I think you'll likely catch more edges with a NS than a beginner oriented rocker-profile board. But it's counteracted by how nicely the board handles in crappy conditions.
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've been doing quite a bit of women's gear research lately, so I'll offer some information I've stumbled upon. I just bought a setup for my soon to be wife. I went with a Bataleon FeelBetter because they are noob friendly. The TBT design tends to catch less of an edge, which as a beginner can get really old and painful. I found a 2013 Bataleon FeelBetter for $288 shipped from EternalSnow (link below). I also picked up a set of Rome Madison's for $104 from EVO. And grabbed a pair of Vans Veins for $160 from EVO as well. A complete package for under $600 and it's all top notch gear that she will be able to progress with.

You might want to check out this deal. Bataleon FeelBetter Womens Snowboard | 2013

Don't be like all the other noobs on the hill, which is what you will be if you buy a Burton.
Robisten8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Shameless plug, but this is the perfect size and flex for you: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...46-womens.html
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Shameless plug, but this is the perfect size and flex for you: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...46-womens.html
I saw your board for sale while doing my search. I would've bought it if it was bigger. Great deal!!
Robisten8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpoint View Post
a feather or social in the 144cm range would be fine for you while learning/beginner the lipstick is a high end, high performance stick designed for an upper level rider

Thank you. I ended up getting the Restricted Social 147. I asked for the 147, but the people at the snowboard store recommended I get the 142 since I was a beginner. My husband and I said OK to their recommendations, then they opened and put my bindings on a 147. I think I'll just stick with it.

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions.
BeachLegoGal is offline   Reply With Quote