Another "buying a new board, help" thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Steroids

Default Another "buying a new board, help" thread

Ok basicly season just passed was my first real season , i have a board now but i think it sucks. Im gonna buy a new one. now it was only my first season but i went so much i am doing the jumps landing them pretty good most of the time, i was starting to try and do some spins off the jumps but then the season ended.

so im 6'2 , 230 pounds, size 11 boot. I ride regular.

not sure what i should buy though for what i want to do, ill be mostly park, i plan to try half pipe but the place i go to dosent always have the half pipe opened small mountain.

moneys not really the object here, im looking for quality. i was looking at the burton bullet, is that one good? Btw the mountain i go to almost never has powder hah. so powder boards are a no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steroids View Post
Ok basicly season just passed was my first real season...
Ok, a few questions:

(1) what board do you have now?
(2) why do you think it sucks?
(3) can you handle blues w/o falling? Blacks?
(4) Any idea how much time you want to spend on trails v. in the park? (i.e. 50%/50%, 75%/25%, etc)
(5) In a park setting, do lean more towards jumps or doing rails?

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Steroids

yes i can handle blues and blacks without falling not much of a problem, and as far as park id say jumps , first time i tried a rail i hurt my tailbone real bad so definantly jumps lol

anyway, the board i got now just dosent feel that good it dosent feel much better from a rental board, its kind of heavy, i feel like its kind of slow too at picking up speed, and i dont have to many options on wear i can put my bindings lol. then again ive never really used another snowboard. i mean what would i be looking for here? im not really sure what the side cut means and all that, i am new to the sport but right now this is my favorite sport and i cant wait till next season.

so any help you give me on buying a new board would be appreciated
Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
tonysimoni

I would add that`s its pretty important if you want a park board or an all-mountain bord. You also have boards with are mainly something but also another thing.
P.e. I have a Rome Agent, wich is an (didn`t test yet but hopefully a good) all-mountain board and a great park board!

It depends alot on what you want to spend the most time: Runs/rails/jumps/off-piste? If you give a percentage off this I think ppl will be able to give good models.

Also you`re weight (and height) defines the length of yr board. Most models are in different lenghts so this should not be a limit to wich boards you can choose.

If you`re bootsize is too large I would consider a wide board. Myself I have a 46 (don`t now American units) and I don`t have a wide board but bindings wich are higher. So bootsize is, as I see it, no problem. Of course if you are looking for the perfect carve you don`t want toe/heel-drag at all and you need a wide board.

Anyways this reply got longer than I thought, hopefully I gave you some hints
Old 05-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gustov

size 11, 230, i'd think you'd probably want a wide board. 11 is borderline, i think, but wide boards these days don't hold ya back. if you're not gonna do rails/boxes much, you could probably go with an all mountain board that is a little park oriented. look at some of the manufacturers' websites and they have descriptions of what each of their boards is good for. gnu, atomic, never summer, burton, rome, ride, nitro, lib tech, etc. thers tons of good brands.

does the board you have now have a name? if so, we can probably tell you all about it. you might think it goes slow because it needs waxed.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Steroids

this is the board i have right now

2007 Flow Diskord All-Mountain Snowboard

hopefuly that link worked, i got the 162w

anyway like i said, this season was my first year really going, i managed to go about 12 times which is alot for me seeing as i dont live right on a mountain, 3 hours there , then another 3 hours to get back home every time i went haha.

at first i was all about geting down the mountain as fast as i could, i dont really fall at all even going down the blacks. and i was doing very small jumps landing them no problem, but towards the end of the season i was in the park like 80% of the day, my last day i did nothing but park.

so im thinking next season ill be atleast 50 50 , cause speed is very important to me, i wanna be able to go a million miles per hour if i can, its so fun. but at the same time my big goal is to get some good air on these jumps, havent started any spins yet but i think that will happen this season coming.

anyway yeah i do think i need a wide board and probably a bit longer too right?

i mean if you think its better for me i dont even mind buying 1 specificaly for park ,and 1 specificly for speed and carving those blacks.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
BadMojo

Try the Rome Flag or the Gnu 11up.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

look into the Rome Anthem, personally I have the Rome Agent and I love the board. But you say that you are into speed more than anything else and I think the Agent is a bit soft when taken at high speeds. Talking to Snowolf he said that the the Anthem is the sister of the Agent but for freeride rather than Freestyle. I bought my Agent as a all mountain board and I love it, it's easy to maneuver, it has good stability at high speeds and it can easily handle any type of terrain it encounters (slush, ice, powder, groomed, corn and even the sticky stuff).
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yeah, if your all about speed, then stay away from pure park boards.

Basically:

Park Board: small, flexible, unstable at speed, but great for jumps, spins, and rails.

All-Mountain Board: longer and stiffer than a park board. It will be more stable at speed, but won't handle the terrian park as well.

Freeride Board: Even longer and stiffer. These things are speed demons, but can be hard to ride for a newer rider. They are far less forgiving of minor mistakes (b/c of the stiffness). They are horrid in the park.

So based on what your saying, it sounds like you want an all-mountain board. Great companys to check out are Rome, Atomic, Never Summer, and Burton. Take a look at their respective web site for their all-mountain boards. See what seems to jump out at you, and then come back with any specific question you may have about a given deck.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
OLDMAN51

You may need a wide board say 265 mm maybe a little less in the waist. I have two boards a nitro magnum its a hill killer for speed, its a 165. My other is a morrow source wide 155 which I'm gonna use next season. I can't wait to see the difference. I'm 225.6ft size 13 boot..