Never Summer Proto Ct Sizing - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpen View Post
I read so many reviews about how well it held up at speed, which is why I bought it. But I just don't agree, I tried everything including moving my weight more forward, backwards, squat more, stand more etc, etc,. The only thing that really helped was detuning the tip and tale which I found to have too much bite causing extra chatter. Even though it helped a little it's still sketchy at high speeds unless your on perfectly smooth groomers. Any type of bump gets magnified on this board and I find myself popping off of small little bumps that I should be crushing through. I don't know how fast I go because I was never clocked and I don't really trust those GPS tracking apps for speed accuracy but my app says I ride around the 55-60 mph range. I have gone a lot faster on my premier, but the proto is not a free riding stick. But for me it's not really all mountain either. Although I will say its really fun in fresh pow. Again just not too fast.
I made the same mistake. I expected the Proto to ride like camber, but I quickly realized it doesn't. It's a rocker and it rides like one.

I typically ride my misfit (camber and on the stiffer side) at 50 +. I took out the proto on the same slopes to see how it compares and it doesn't come close. Where it does beat out the misfit is in the park. It's more playful and pressy and I have no problems at sub 30mph speeds, which is probably what the average snowboarder stays around.

The main selling point of the NS hybrid profile is it adds edge stability that other rocker boards don't. Which I find to be precisely the case.

I'd like to see how the more all mountain oriented boards in the line stand up to traditional camber, but I have yet to ride them.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Sorry if this is a tip you are already familiar with, but constantly transitioning from edge to edge helps a ton with stability. That's how I bomb runs on my Evo. I don't stay on one edge long enough for it to chatter and wash out.
I'm finding this to be the case as well. The Proto rides like a rocker when flat base but rides like a camber board on edge. I find I'm riding my edges on it much more than I do my camber boards.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
I made the same mistake. I expected the Proto to ride like camber, but I quickly realized it doesn't. It's a rocker and it rides like one.

I typically ride my misfit (camber and on the stiffer side) at 50 +. I took out the proto on the same slopes to see how it compares and it doesn't come close. Where it does beat out the misfit is in the park. It's more playful and pressy and I have no problems at sub 30mph speeds, which is probably what the average snowboarder stays around.

The main selling point of the NS hybrid profile is it adds edge stability that other rocker boards don't. Which I find to be precisely the case.

I'd like to see how the more all mountain oriented boards in the line stand up to traditional camber, but I have yet to ride them.
I would say I ride in the 40+ range most of the time, and have taken it over 50 many times too (admittedly this gets a little hairy especially if its chopped up).

I ride the proto out of preference, yes you need to be up on edge to make use of the camber in the profile, and yes you need to adjust your style a little.

I spent most of last season on stiffer posi camber and I find the proto is way more fun and can stay with it (close at least) when carving groomed runs at good speeds (not flat out bombing). It requires more angle and more fore aft movement for sure.

Obviously the other area where it shines is in powder where you get way better float and playfulness.

I don't do much park so I'll leave that to those who do.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingSideWays View Post
Hello,

I was given a Never Summer Proto CT as a bday gift and wanted to make sure I shouldnt size down. I am 5'10", 210lbs, and usually do all mountain riding but wanted to start hitting the rails and jumps. I was given a size 157 but don't know if I should go even smaller to the 154. Thoughts?
i am also 5'10" and i weigh like 200 lb. I ride a 157 GNU pickle for park and i feel like it is a great size. You should be fine
StrattonRider is offline   Reply With Quote