Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Need help figuring out board size! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/5469-need-help-figuring-out-board-size.html)

edmontonsara 05-12-2008 10:04 AM

Need help figuring out board size!

:dunno: Okay so my hubby finally tried boarding last week and he loved it! I want to pick up a used board for him over the summer, but I cant find a size chart that helps. He wears a US 10.5 boot, is 6ft tall, and weighs 250. He has only been out once and can do green runs. He has no interest in park riding, just cruising groomed runs/powder. Any idea what size board he should be riding at this point? should I be looking for a stiff board because he is so heavy? He also has very wide feet, so any recomendations for wide fitting boots would be helpful too. Thanks!

Gustov 05-12-2008 10:12 AM

mid/upper 160's seems like where he's probably gonna be with length. boards have a weight range that they suggest, so you should look at that when considering. probably an all mountain board would be best, since he's just starting out. for boots make him go to a shop and try a bunch on to see which is most comfortable, brand is not important. there's a boot fitting guide sticky somewhere on this forum.

edmontonsara 05-12-2008 10:21 AM

Thanks, I'll go look for that boot post now.
LOL, I can take 30 5 year olds btw.

Gustov 05-12-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmontonsara (Post 51050)
Thanks, I'll go look for that boot post now.
LOL, I can take 30 5 year olds btw.

it's at the top of the 'general board talk' section. there's stuff about picking boards in one of those stickys also.

30, nice. that's better than other reports ive heard :)

edmontonsara 05-12-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustov (Post 51052)
it's at the top of the 'general board talk' section. there's stuff about picking boards in one of those stickys also.

30, nice. that's better than other reports ive heard :)

I looked at the boot topic, and it has sound advice, Im sure we will be able to find him a comfortable pair, if he tries enough on. Do you think a 163 would be long enough to learn on.... assuming that he doesnt exceed the weight limit? A friend is selling his...

edmontonsara 05-12-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowolf (Post 51062)
At 250, look in the upper 160 range; something around 1670 through 172 would be perfect. A stiff board is going to be better as it will retain it`s camber with a heavier rider better. If you do a lot of Powder riding, consider a mid wide to a full wide. His boot size does not require a wide board, but the extra CM of waist width will come in very handy for him when free riding pow. A board I can`t speak highly enough about and would also be ideal for him is the Atomic Radon in a 169. I have one as my Pow board and while it is huge for my weight, it still handles groomers, ice and even park very well for me. The only time I notice it`s length being noticable is in tight trees; I have to take more open lines with it.

I just googled it, thats a sweeet board.... not sure he will be that lucky for his first one!

nzboardlife 05-12-2008 09:29 PM

If you plan on replacing this board a little later on (when hes a bit better) i would go with the 163 if its at a resonable price, if it will handle his weight. Being a 163 rather thn a higher 160 it will make it easier for him to turn.

edmontonsara 05-13-2008 12:11 PM

Thanks all for the help! It was kinda unnerving to look at all the size charts and see none going over 220lbs! One other thing though, for a guy who is 6ft tall he kinda has short legs I dont think a 163 would be a problem, but when he eventually moves up to a 167 or 169 will he be able to have a stance that isnt way too wide for him? (ROFL) You guys must have an interesting mental image of him at this point... 6ft tall, 250lbs, stubby legs!