Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Looking for advice on boards. (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/54730-looking-advice-boards.html)

dopeythatme 01-14-2013 12:35 PM

Looking for advice on boards.

Hello,
I'm trying to find a new board.

Right now I'm riding a 2006 Burton Custom 156.

The reason I want to get rid of the board is because while I can hold my own on a the mountain, I kind of want something more forgiving.

I feel like I catch an edge very easily.

What boards should I look at, or should I just stick with the Custom?

Another note, I'm about 220 pounds 5'6" and I'm riding the 156 Custom.

dopeythatme 01-14-2013 06:24 PM

bump
10char

Justin 01-14-2013 10:27 PM

maybe give more info, do you ride park, do you like jumps or jibs, where do you ride, and what is your foot size?

dopeythatme 01-14-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 583346)
maybe give more info, do you ride park, do you like jumps or jibs, where do you ride, and what is your foot size?

Sorry,

I ride all mountain.
I'm in the PA, NY, NJ area so I don't really ride in powder cause we rarely get any.

I have a size 10.5 boot

The board I was looking at was a Rome Tour

Justin 01-15-2013 12:01 AM

personally i don't like flat rocker on hard pack, i have a ride machete with that profile. I would prefer something like the reverb rocker from rome. camber rocker camber.

This is my personal preferance and you may feel differently.

dopeythatme 01-15-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 583674)
personally i don't like flat rocker on hard pack, i have a ride machete with that profile. I would prefer something like the reverb rocker from rome. camber rocker camber.

This is my personal preferance and you may feel differently.

I was also looking at the Burton Flying V Rocker.
I couldnt really find any review on it.

ig88 01-15-2013 01:43 AM

To the OP, I thought you might be complaining about your board's edge-hold problems but in fact you saying it's an edge catching issue. Fair enough. If you catch an edge, for whatever reasons, could you really get away with it, if you were riding a rocker board?

dopeythatme 01-15-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ig88 (Post 583938)
To the OP, I thought you might be complaining about your board's edge-hold problems but in fact you saying it's an edge catching issue. Fair enough. If you catch an edge, for whatever reasons, could you really get away with it, if you were riding a rocker board?

Thats what I'm really asking.

Will having a rocker concave or something similar be more playful and have more wiggle room for not catching an edge.

If it will be the same thing, then I'll save my self a few hundred and keep the custom.

ig88 01-15-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dopeythatme (Post 584002)
Thats what I'm really asking.

Will having a rocker concave or something similar be more playful and have more wiggle room for not catching an edge.

If it will be the same thing, then I'll save my self a few hundred and keep the custom.

Once we frankly catch an edge, for most practical purposes, we have gone beyond the point of no return. I think beyond that point, no matter what type of board you are riding, you will eat it.

I confess I have not done thorough research on this issue. But may thoughts are that a rocker board should subject you to a lower likelihood of catching an edge.

This is not an insult. On the other hand, if you catch edges often when you are nowhere near playful, probably you need to take a closer look at your own techniques ...... which I do not believe is the real issue here.

Could you just borrow a rocker board off a friend or rent one to see if this answers your question? At least you do have to purchase a rocker board prematurely.

Basti 01-15-2013 06:40 AM

It's easier to catch an edge with a camber board than for example with a rocker board. Each have their upsides and downsides though. Mistakes will be punished harder by a camber board but if you know how to ride it you can be more aggressive.

I found either Camrock (rocker-camber-rocker, such as used by YES) or Arbor's rocker with griptech a good compromise. Playful, more forgiving and still chargeable.

Have a look at the YES Greats or Arbor Coda. They might suit you better than the Custom. There are loads of reviews around the interwebs.