Have i got a board too small? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
bigred304

Question Have i got a board too small?

hey there, just wondering if a few of you more experienced boarders could help me out a little. I have rushed out an bought a Burton Custom 156. I bought it quickly not looking into it ALL that much. I looked into the board alot, but not weather it was right for me. But i bought it coz i got it really cheap so it made it worth while. Now im about 6" and weigh about 92kg. I wear a size 10-11 boot, an ride only in australia. So there isnt powder an the likes around what you guys might be used to lol. Im just hoping you can tell me if u think this board is too small for me? I have a set of burton triad bindings to go on it too. But is this set-up going to be too small? And if so ... will it be a noticeable difference, one worth changing??? Any input would be great. Much appreciated. Thanks, Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Well I might say that I do think that a 156 is a little to small for you. One the other hand you might get away with it if you only plan to do park. But once you get out on groomers and off piste the board is going to become unstable for the most part. Speed is also going to be impeding as a short board will be able to get as much speed from a heavy person in it's range. I am not sure if the board will break or not, I think you should be about a 159-162 on average.

Maybe someone else can add here.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Boards are designed to flex within certain rider weight ranges. This is what allows them to flex into, and out of, turns. If you are too light for a board, you will have a very time making use of the boards camber. This will translate into the person not being able to make the board carve. If you are two heavy for a board, the deck will not "pop" back out turns, and it will feel very "noodly." (I'm sure Snowolf can explain this much better than I can).

Almost every board mfg will list the suggested weight ranges for given board on their web site. I just looked at the Burton site. You are way over the weight range for a Custom 156. Here are the specs:

156: 57-80kg (120-170lbs)
162: 64-86kg (140-190lbs)
166: 73-96kg (160-210lbs)

Your not just over the suggested weight limit for the 156, you are way over it. There is also the consideration of boot size. The 156, accroding to the Burton site, will fit up to a size 10 boot. If your at an 11, you need a wider board. The 162/166 will fit an 11 size boot.

IMHO, there is no question you should get another board. That thing will prolly ride like mush to you. One thing to note, however, is that the various different manufactures have radically different weight ranges for the same size board. For instance, the K2 WWW (a pure freestyle board) claims someone who is 200lbs (94kg?) can ride the WWW 152cm board! The point, is do your research before you buy, and don't assume you have to ride a longer, or a shorter, sized board.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask anything else.

-Chris

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

Last edited by sedition; 05-14-2008 at 08:25 AM.
sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i am basically the same as you in stats 6'3", 88kg, 10/11 foot. i got a Rome Agent 158 and im at the TOP of its weight range, you might want bigger But then again if you like you boards soft i dunno.
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
NzGnu

haha boardslide could = no children in future....some may see this as an advantage though...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

156 is what you want. what these people are saying, like you should have a 160 something is not right. the biggest id go for you would be 159, and thats for big mountain riding. anything bigger than that and you'll feel like your riding a steel rod.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

i think it'll work just fine for you. im in about the same weight range (180-190) and i ride a 156 for cruising and going off kickers. i ride a 151 for park. i like the feeling of having more control over my boards so i ride them shorter.