Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Rome Madison vs. Ride DVA (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/5486-rome-madison-vs-ride-dva.html)

Synaesthesia 05-14-2008 09:05 AM

Rome Madison vs. Ride DVA

Ok... So I need new bindings. I am a 5'2'' 125 pound female riding on a 154cm 2006 Never Summer infinity. (Ok, yes, I know it is long for me, but I like it that way. I love my board, and I am glad I have it). However, I couldn't find the bindings I wanted at the end of the season last year and I didn't have the money to buy them anyway, so I strapped on my crappy burton demo bindings that were free with my last board.

However, this year I really really need a new pair of bindings. However, due to the fact I have only ridden on crappy rental bindings, I don't know exactly what I like. I come from a ski racing background, where I like for every one of my movements to be captured by my equipment. Even on my board, I lace my laces to the point of almost cutting off my circulation, and tighten the ratchets on my bindings so tight that I have to loosen them when I get to the chair. Therefore, I suspect I may like stiffer bindings, but I am not sure. All I know is that I like my bindings to be ultra responsive.

I am an somewhere between an advanced and expert snowboarder, who tends to ride big mountain. I enjoy spending my time in powder, steeps, trees, and searching for terrain. Occasionally I venture onto the beaten path and wander into the pipe, however I get sick of being cut off in line and almost being run over by people who don't know what they are doing. I even more rarely wander into the park, but if I am going to do freestyle, I prefer pipe anyway. My percentage of off piste/groomers/pipe-park is 50/25/25 (if I had to estimate). (I would probably eliminate groomers altogether if I could, but we all have families...)

I have narrowed down my options to to final candidates: the Ride DVA or the Rome Madison. I have heard great things about both, however, I don't know which to get. I know I won't be able to demo before getting them, or else I would have to wait another year, which I cannot do, as currently my toestrap is about to break, which would require me to put more money into my already dead bindings, which I am simply not going to do.

Any advice comparing the two would be of great help, as I have gotten to the point that I am so divided that I am picking the binding I would like by color--which isn't the way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Simply^Ride 05-14-2008 09:26 AM

Id say the Rome Arsenal should be great for you, they are more of an free ride binding. I think the madison compares to the 390's and the 390's tend to be a softer ride, something used more in park than free ride. I am not sure here but I think the Rome Strut are more like the Rome Arsenal, they are a bit stiffer, so maybe they would be a better choice for you if are more of free ride kind of person. I am not sure if you are planning to buy now or at the beginning of the season, but if you are looking into buying now you better start looking because most good deals fly fast.

Good luck on your quest, I am sure other fellow riders will add here.