shopping for first snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default shopping for first snowboard

i was wondering if anyone had tips for me for getting my first snowboard (and boots and bindings). when is the best time to shop for one, how to choose etc. if you hae any tips please tell me. thanks
jordan2734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

We need your:

Height
weight
foot size
riding style freestyle (jumps, rails ect) or freeride (groomers, cousing and that sort of stuff). Also do you see a lot of powder or not?

As for the time to buy, right now is a good time to shop for boards because 07/08 gear goes on sale to introduce the 08/09 later in august. So this time is good to get a good up to 60% off kind of deal.

With info we will be able to help you better.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

ok my height is 5'11
my weight is about 145
my shoe size (depending on the shoe) in the 10 or 11 range
and for the board i would like a board i can hit up the terrain park with and get a good ride downhill (hopefully on powder but not always). so i guess a freeride/all mountain board.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

You are similar to me, the only difference is that I am 5'10. For the size options I say anything between 154 and 158 should be good for you. I personally own a 154 because I tend to like smaller boards, I will write same thing I wrote to love'in life here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply^Ride View Post
A wakeboard for the summer , thats what I am getting.

Anyway back to the topic Rome Agent all the way, I wanted a board that could handle it all groomers, glades, jumps, rails and off piste. I just got back from testing my board and I love it, the boards handles incredible in every type of terrain you trow at it. It has enough flex and Pop to handle anything in the park, but it maintains stability at high speeds in groomers. The thing is also a floater by nature in the pow, it's good in ice and corn as well. It's easy to handle in the glades too, I would say that it's the perfect as a allmountain board.
you might want to wait to next season Rome is coming out wish a 154 Slash wich is the sister of the Agent but wider (I believe the board is going to be 257mm wide), so this might help with the overhang of the boots. I personally don't have any problems with it, but some riders might have problems when carving in extreme angles.

Although you might want to consider a larger board maybe a 155 or a 156 will fit your needs better. It really depends on what size you feel it's better for you.

I also wrote this in another post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply^Ride View Post
I love the Agent, I just bought a 154 and tried it at Mt.Hood. My boots are Burton moto size 11, I wight 145lbs and I am 5'9 tall. The setup seems ok to me, I had a little of overhang but nothing to extreme, as long as you center your bindings to the point that the overhang is the same in front and back, you will not feel any problems with drag. Now I am not sure with a size 12 boots how it's going to work. I ride 14/-14, but I next season I am going down to 12/-12, my back knee is going to thank me for that.

The board is insane, it has amazing poop, it has nice flex and it's extremely stable at high speeds. I rode it in all conditions icy, sticky stuff, corn and some sort of untracked snow, not exactly powder but I guess you could call it that. The board floats very good specially if you move your stance a little backward.

I know a 154 is at my lower end of my range, but personally I enjoy shorter boards. Thats why I bought a 154 and not a 156. The boards handles excellent good and it's very forgiving, I only caught one edge in 3 days of riding at Hood and it was kind of a stupid edge.

What size are your boots 11 or 12? if they are 11, I say go for it, you wont regret it. for a 12 size you might wait for more input from other users.

P.S. match that the Agent with a pair of 390's and you have a dream set. That setup is so responsive and stable, I never rode anything like that before.

Last edited by Simply^Ride; 05-14-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default used board

is getting a used board a good or bad idea?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nothing wrong with it if theres nothing majorly wrong with the board
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

If the board is in a good condition and you can get a good deal on it, I say do it. Specially for your first board, you're not sure of what you really want out of your board. Just make sure the edges don't have a lot of rust and the bottom of the board is in a somewhat acceptable condition.

I bought my first board used on ebay, I got two seasons out of then and then upgraded.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

do snowboards ever split in half when you grind on the middle of the board. my friends did, but it was a cheap one, like when u would get at meijer
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its possible, but its not often or anything.These things are really strong.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

yea thats what i figured, cus if they did break then people problly wouldnt go to terrain parks