Change Goofy to Regular - how long to get "comfortable"? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Change Goofy to Regular - how long to get "comfortable"?

Hi all - my girlfriend started boarding last year and have done 10 days on the boards. Never did anything like this before but comfortable now on blues and groomed reds. But she is having some issues still. The first day we started the guy in the rental shop did the push test and reckoned she was goofy and set the board up like that and it's been like that since. But I notice now she's riding fakie a lot (especially at speed) and is still having some problems linking her turns.

Now I know some of this is down to experience / technique and lessons will help but I was wondering was it something more fundamental. So I got her to do the slide across the floor test and she is much more comfortable regular. Did it 5 times and in all cases left long forward won...

What I'm thinking is, we're not too far down the road to change it up. The plan is this Saturday we switch her bindings and spend the day trying it regular on a nice groomed slope to see how she goes.

I'm trying to set her expectations though which isn't that it will be instantly as good / better. But it shouldn't take as long to get going as first time around we've never really done anything like this!

Know it's a very hard question but after a day or runs if she is regular how far towards her current standard should she be? Just trying to see should she expect it to take 1, 2, 3,4... days to get back to her current level / comfort from the time we change the board and she has to learn her turns again?

Like I guess it will feel weird at the start and trying to make sure she gets it. That it will take a while to get it locked down but then if it's right, it's right and it'll be easier to build on

Know it's a hard question but if you've done something like this can you let me know how you go on?

Thanks
G
gc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I had the same issue with my ex. She was used to riding regular but actually felt more comfortable riding goofy.

I think it's hard to say how fast she will be able to reach her standard and I wouldn't go at it that way. Make it about feeling comfortable while riding. Let her try regular for a whole day and see what she says. If she really is a regular rider she should feel the difference pretty soon.

Good luck!
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You said you did the "push test"
did you try the Slide Test??? That would be a much better indicator for Goofy or Regular
Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2012 View Post
...So I got her to do the slide across the floor test and she is much more comfortable regular. Did it 5 times and in all cases left long forward won...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
You said you did the "push test"
did you try the Slide Test??? That would be a much better indicator for Goofy or Regular

I do that a lot,.. scanning post so quick I "miss" the pertinent info I'm asking about when I reply!! I alway's feel like "Such" a doof when I do!!

(NOT calling you a DooF, BTW!!!)

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you still renting? If so, see if it's possible to rent a true twin and set it up with the bindings centered and the angles the same. This way she can ride goofy or regular and it wont matter.

She can focus on whichever way seems more natural, but can continue doing a little of both. Once she has several more days under her belt she will be pretty good at riding regular as well as switch; which would be pretty cool as she progresses.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Someone on this board suggested the stair test works best. The first foot u place going down a steep stairs is ur front foot. Ur back leg will go second on the stairs.
cozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
Are you still renting? If so, see if it's possible to rent a true twin and set it up with the bindings centered and the angles the same. This way she can ride goofy or regular and it wont matter.

She can focus on whichever way seems more natural, but can continue doing a little of both. Once she has several more days under her belt she will be pretty good at riding regular as well as switch; which would be pretty cool as she progresses.
Do this ^

Get her committing to link turns properly though, either way she decides or finds easiest. If she is doing the 'falling leaf', stop her!
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

there are also weird cases like mine

push test says regular,slide test says goofy
learned it regular,but now days its all the same just can't bomb down the steeps goofy other than that it feels the same...

of to stairs test
vukovi21 is offline   Reply With Quote