Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Beginner snowboard invention (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/55050-beginner-snowboard-invention.html)

Ian Rees 01-15-2013 08:30 AM

Beginner snowboard invention

I am involved with a company which has invented and, over the last two years, successfully developed a working prototype of the first truly dedicated Beginner Snowboard. We have had Tribologists look at it (i.e. Mechanical Engineers who deal in the science of interacting surfaces in relative motion and friction, lubrication and wear), been to Patent Attorneys for legal advice in respect of intellectual property protection and there has been progressive testing by qualified instructors riding it in the USA, Japan and New Zealand.

Trouble is, in approaching many snowboard companies who we thought may be interested in branding, manufacturing and marketing the Beginner Snowboard, we have found almost all of them will not sign a Confidentiality Agreement. From where we stand, we see a unique product and marketing initiative for the right snowboard company to take advantage. One aspect of adding this snowboard initiative to their product line is impacting brand differentiation from other companies in the snowboard industry. Another is marketing with competitive edge to snowboard rental companies where they provide a better snowboard in catering and hiring to beginners with their initial board riding needs.

Does anyone know of someone as an executive decision maker at a reputable snowboard company who they think might be interested and worthwhile dealing with? If so, could you provide us with their direct contact details (e.g email) or get them to contact me, Ian Rees, at francisrees@bigpond.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N.B Please don’t bring our attention to any of the following companies :- Amer Sports (Atomic, Bonfire & Salomon), Automaton, Burton, Bataleon, Endeavor, Flow, Head, K2, Lamar, Mervin Manufacturing (Gnu, Libtech), Nidecker (Nidecker and Jones), Prior, Rome or Rossignol.

wrathfuldeity 01-15-2013 09:32 AM

The first one out of the gate, in any industry is often a fail for various reasons. If you are a big company is perhaps more able to take a hit and yet keep up the r&d to somewhat keep ahead of the field. But just realize that if it is a decent product that it will be copied by others. I'd imagine that these other companies are being pragmatic and just waiting...so as to copy. For example rocker, magnetraction and c2.

I do underestand you are trying to protect your intel property yet sadly in this day and age patents are no guarantee...even if you have a huge war chest for attorney costs to back it up.

Sick-Pow 01-15-2013 12:53 PM

The 99% of the ski snowboard industry is sick and slowing creeping forward into a walmart mentality.

They are basically dirtbags who hire and fire like Burger King, and will kill anyone in their way, and would steal any good idea in a heartbeat, not kidding or exaggerating.

Snowboard brands have tried to fit into this mass chaos of the ski industry, and many times been lost within it.

that being said, instead of trying to sell the idea, sell the product. If someone sees it is successful, maybe they will buy it.

You are obviously not lazy, but big time brands are "lazy", and only want in on a sure thing.

edit, your "new" snowboard design for beginners also directly competes with ski brands like Head, who dominate the beginner rental market.
I say "new", as most things have been done, and nothing is truly revolutionary or unique. If in fact it is truly unique, you are going to have to take the risk and try to sell it on your own.

scottb7 01-15-2013 01:22 PM

All you can do is patent, and start making, like was said above. Come on, almost all companies large or small are full of know it all's that feel they don't need anything from anybody. If they did not feel that way how would they justify their high salaries.

Can't wait to see you on SharkTank.

East§ide 01-15-2013 01:32 PM

im confused. its your first post, you post almost ZERO information on your brand or your concept, and expect anyone with insider connections to just blindly forward you email addresses or information? LOL

good luck with your invention and all, but thats not the right away to approach this

sheepstealer 01-15-2013 01:48 PM

"Truly Beginner Snowboard" ?

Hasn't something like this already been invented? Where I ride 1st timer snowboarders, when renting, are given a snowboard that has 'upwards' concavity along the edges, so as it is almost impossible to catch an edge.

What else can be done to a board to make it more "beginner" ?

Regardless, I think these concaved beginner boards are still useless as it teaches the new rider to rely on boards that are not designed like the rest of the non-beginner snowboards, forcing them to re-adapt their riding once they do make the jump to a "normal" board.

Rambing, rambling...thread got me thinking...

flapjack 01-15-2013 02:06 PM

reads like a scam

Leo 01-15-2013 02:25 PM

Sure. I'll forward your information to... Oh wait... I have absolutely 0 information about your product.

You want people to exhaust their resources for you? How about you show them the product. In fact, the simple act of posting detailed info about your product on here and other forums might give you direct visibility to snowboard companies that post on here.

I'm actually interested in this product. I mean, can it be much different from a Burton Clash? Will it make a big difference? My thoughts immediately say "no." I'd like to see if I'm wrong.

Now to sit back and wait for a BA response...

Ian Rees 01-15-2013 05:35 PM

The Right Approach

Quote:

Originally Posted by East§ide (Post 585746)
im confused. its your first post, you post almost ZERO information on your brand or your concept, and expect anyone with insider connections to just blindly forward you email addresses or information? LOL

good luck with your invention and all, but thats not the right away to approach this

We have used a number of different ways to source interest and this is the first time we have considered a public medium like snowboarding forum. It may or may not be the right way, but we are interested to hear member's opinions and or obtain their assistance in sourcing a solution.

Ian Rees 01-15-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo (Post 585922)
Sure. I'll forward your information to... Oh wait... I have absolutely 0 information about your product.

You want people to exhaust their resources for you? How about you show them the product. In fact, the simple act of posting detailed info about your product on here and other forums might give you direct visibility to snowboard companies that post on here.

I'm actually interested in this product. I mean, can it be much different from a Burton Clash? Will it make a big difference? My thoughts immediately say "no." I'd like to see if I'm wrong.

Now to sit back and wait for a BA response...

If you are interested in the product, email me how you might be interested and able to help and we'll send you a Confidentiality Agreement for you to execute and return so that you can have full disclosure.

With the Beginner Snowboard we have design concepts involving speed, control and manueverability involving the underside surface of the snowboard and relevant coefficient of friction and things like hydrophobicity.