Stomp Pads - y/n? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
BadMojo

Default Stomp Pads - y/n?

Are stomp pads really all that important? I have ridden w/ and w/o a stomp pad, and its not terribly different. When riding downhill w/ my back foot out, I just ride switch w/ my boot in the binding, but not actually strapped in. I get much more control than a stomp pad ever gave me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I never use a stomp pad, and I've ridden jumps and rails one footed like that! But in fairness the boards I've ridden tended to have a kind of matt finish on top so they were never too slippy anyway.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
NickNorth11

This is an easy one. You answered yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMojo View Post
I have ridden w/ and w/o a stomp pad, and its not terribly different. When riding downhill w/ my back foot out, I just ride switch w/ my boot in the binding, but not actually strapped in. I get much more control than a stomp pad ever gave me.
For me, it's very important. For you, it's obviously not.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

I personally believe that it depends in the surface of the board. In my case the Agent has a very smooth surface, I need a stomp pad. But on my last trip to Hood, the stomp pad I bought fell off and I ended up riding without one the whole 3 days. I believe you get used to everything, but they do make life easier.

I see some riders have incredible control with their foot out of the binding, personally I have to strap if I want to ride more than 100 meters.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

really depends on board top sheet, and type of conditions you ride under. If you have a board with a "sticky" top sheet, and ride in softer type snow, then you don't really need one. If your board has a slick top sheet, and your often skating in hardpack or icy type conditions, a stop pad can be very helpful. It's your call. Some people don't use them, some swear by them. Either way, it won't effect the way your board handles when your really riding it.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
AAA

I like the ones made up of spikey cones. I think they offer a degree of extra foothold, but more importantly, the type I mentioned above is invaluable for kicking caked snow and ice off the bottom of your boot, especially hardboot setups with intec heels.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i used to have mini stompers... ie i'd buy a whole one, but cut it into thirds and use them one at a time ie put one third on a board....

now i just don't bother at all.

for noobs or those with less confidence i can see they'd be pretty vital, but really and as with most / all things to do with snowboarding, with there being no wrong or right way, tis up to personal preference.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Something I like better than the pads are the small studs that Dakaine sells. They are very effective for keeping your foot from slipping and they don`t cover up the graphics of the top sheet.

Those are what I have, too. I just loosely lump them under the term "stomp pad"

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gustov

i have a small dakine pad that is clear and is barely noticeable. i don't really feel like it does that much, but i have it on there anyway. i hang my heel/toe over the edge to help me stop, so i don't think the pad is doing a whole lot.

hey simply, my friend's stomp pad fell off becuase he didn't use heat to put it on. some of them say in the instructions that you really need to. i think i would need a crowbar to get mine off. if you don't have a hairdryer, you can get some funny reactions when you ask a girl to borrow hers.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Maybe that could be the reason, oh well I am going to buy a new buy when the season starts and for me thats around January. Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking maybe the brand was garbage.