Which companies (brands) have faster bases? - Page 7 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #61 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I didnt read everything BUT TBT is a god damn rocket for sure. The base acts as a ski with least amount of base touching the snow... That thing feels like it has a motor. Now i might not want to take it to super high speeds but TBT bases are the fastest from the camber and base concave...
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #62 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
What is the change in the coefficient of friction for a waxed and unwaxed board then?

A good example for you is a plastic sled-throw it down any ice, like anything else it's gonna fly like anything in some way flat would but take that plastic sled in untracked powder, wet pow, dry pow, warm wet, warm dry and that thing will have a lot of speed changes, there are so many variable conditions and there is a nice wax glide for all of them, I'm not talkin about just groomed ice.
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
I didnt read everything BUT TBT is a god damn rocket for sure. The base acts as a ski with least amount of base touching the snow... That thing feels like it has a motor. Now i might not want to take it to super high speeds but TBT bases are the fastest from the camber and base concave...
This is hilarious as u are right due to the basically 3 deminsional shape of the TBT design there could be less surface area on snow, especially flat, which this would completely go against the guys argument for the TBT being so sweet cause surface area is so important...I give up...lol
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
Yeaahhhh no, thats not what i'm saying, poor analogy.

Actually i believe that is what you're arguing.

Anyways, after your poor attempt at being sarcastic listen up and you might learn something. Yes wax will make a board go faster than one without, BUT the biggest difference (and my initial argument) to speed on two same sized boards waxed with the same wax would be surface area in contact with the snow. Thats called friction, or drag, and if you have a custom x vs a lib btx or c2 etc which has more contact points on the snow while flat basing then yeah, it causes more friction and drag, hence slowing you.

Racers use Narrow boards so they can go edge to edge lightning quick for fast turns. less width quicker trasitions.

Case in point is why alpine racers use narrow, cambered boards, with less base contact with the snow, if banana profiles were faster they would be using them.
Racers use Narrow boards so they can go edge to edge lightning quick for fast turns. less width quicker trasitions.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #65 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
A good example for you is a plastic sled-throw it down any ice, like anything else it's gonna fly like anything in some way flat would but take that plastic sled in untracked powder, wet pow, dry pow, warm wet, warm dry and that thing will have a lot of speed changes, there are so many variable conditions and there is a nice wax glide for all of them, I'm not talkin about just groomed ice.
This doesnt even make any sense. The sled will make it down most slopes even though it isn't waxed, regardless of the type of snow. So will a waxed or unwaxed snowboard, what is your point?
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #66 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
This doesnt even make any sense. The sled will make it down most slopes even though it isn't waxed, regardless of the type of snow. So will a waxed or unwaxed snowboard, what is your point?
That is my point is no they wont. Most slopes are not as steep as you think they are. There are a lot of snow conditions that will not even allow the plastic sled or the un waxed board to move as the wax helps melt the snow and create the glide to get you moving, an I've had really slow back country conditions where I couldn't get enough speed to hit anything, I throw a little turbo rub on wax and glide it back and forth on the snow for a minute and it's gliding light butter. If I went and grabbed a large surface that doesn't improve my glide.

Last edited by RockSteady; 01-18-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Look into cross country sking, they are mostly running flats, TINY thin narrow skis, their wax glide is everything. Anyway as far as all mountain speed goes most racing is done up on edge anyway. And we havnt even got into weight..lol

Last edited by RockSteady; 01-18-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #68 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is my point is no they wont. Most slopes are not as steep as you think they are. There are a lot of snow conditions that will not even allow the plastic sled or the un waxed board to move as the wax helps melt the snow and create the glide to get you moving
I give up, you need to make up your mind on what you're arguing. Fact is board shape and contact area has more to do with board speed than wax does. Period! And I'm out!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
I give up, you need to make up your mind on what you're arguing. Fact is board shape and contact area has more to do with board speed than wax does. Period! And I'm out!
OK, thanks for playin buddy
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #70 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Look into cross country sking, they are mostly running flats, TINY thin narrow skis, their wax glide is everything. Anyway as far as all mountain speed goes most racing is done up on edge anyway. And we havnt even got into weight..lol
WHY are their skis skinny and long then? That doesn't make more of a difference? Are you saying a pair of waxed powder skis would work better for cross country than nonwaxed cross country skis?
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote