Which companies (brands) have faster bases? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which companies (brands) have faster bases?

Wanted to run this through here cause I never take the word of just one person.

I am currently riding the Lib Hot knife. I think it is a great board except that when I am flat running, it is not very fast. Only boarded on it 2 days so far, so it still has factory wax. I am going to have some pattern added to the base and new wax applied that the local shop here said will make it faster.

Talking to a few people there though, they told me that is the one thing about Lib's they don't like. They seemed to be in agreement that Lib's bases need to be faster. They also said that Burton has some of the fastest bases. (Even though one guy seemed to be anti-Burton, he said they are fast).

I do have a Burton Custom X as well and that thing is quick as hell when flat running. So part of me tends to believe this guys. Looking at getting a new board, but I would like one that has a faster base. I am liking the T Rice Pro, but hesitant, if it is as slow as my Hot Knife.

When I research, that seems to be something not mentioned much. Anyway, wondering other thoughts and rider's experiences on the subject?

Last edited by CK93; 01-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.
CK93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Fast Base: Oxess, SG, Kessler, Donek, Prior---these are more for racing
Most every higher end freestyle board like LIB snowboards have a good base that is very capable of high speeds but this is only one part of the problem.

It's different board to board though. waxing and sliding on snow is a science and the type of wax that's on your board is super important piece of this. I'm guessing your base is plenty fast. You might just be a little dry or have the wrong temp range of wax on there. Also any man made snow will rip the wax right off your board in less than a day. You can go for days on nice soft fresh snow without a fresh wax but man mad snow is sharp and jagged and rips the wax right off your board like sand paper.

Last edited by RockSteady; 01-15-2013 at 10:08 PM.
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know about that... I have a TRice Pro and it's bloody fast, accelerates really quickly and never gives me issues on the flats.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its a brand new board! You don't need a base grind and structure yet. Your board still has the factory structure. Just get a wax, or get some good wax and do it your self.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hmm... Not sure who has the fastest board, but I will say in my experience, Burton has the most consistently fast bases.

I attend demos where I'm likely riding boards that haven't ever been waxed. Burton's sintered WFO base never disappoints.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cool thanks.

The resort I was at (Keystone) is mostly man made snow, so I guess most of my wax is gone.

And yeah, I was a little worried about grinding such a new board. I will go for just the wax.

Plus that is good to here the Rice board is fast. I kinda figured it would have to be, cause I doubt someone like Travis Rice would ride a slow board.

Thanks for the inputs.. its always good to hear new opinions.

I think the Hot Knife has a different base than the Rice does. Liking the Rice to try out the hybrid design. Plus I hear that board is a little wider than others, which will help my big feet.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Hmm... Not sure who has the fastest board, but I will say in my experience, Burton has the most consistently fast bases.

I attend demos where I'm likely riding boards that haven't ever been waxed. Burton's sintered WFO base never disappoints.
Yeah, I am hearing that a lot too. That Burton excelled in that area. Not looking for the fastest base out there, just some good ones that are a little faster than average.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I found my Hot Knife to be quite fast. Maybe my other board is just that much slower. I think the Travis Rice model has the same base as the Hot Knife.
smerdyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Salomon Burner or Salomon XLT. Both cambered boards if you're okay with that. Seriously fast boards.

My TRice Pro Horsepower seems fast enough, even compared to the two boards I mention above.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK93 View Post
Wanted to run this through here cause I never take the word of just one person.

I am currently riding the Lib Hot knife. I think it is a great board except that when I am flat running, it is not very fast. Only boarded on it 2 days so far, so it still has factory wax. I am going to have some pattern added to the base and new wax applied that the local shop here said will make it faster.

Talking to a few people there though, they told me that is the one thing about Lib's they don't like. They seemed to be in agreement that Lib's bases need to be faster. They also said that Burton has some of the fastest bases. (Even though one guy seemed to be anti-Burton, he said they are fast).

I do have a Burton Custom X as well and that thing is quick as hell when flat running. So part of me tends to believe this guys. Looking at getting a new board, but I would like one that has a faster base. I am liking the T Rice Pro, but hesitant, if it is as slow as my Hot Knife.

When I research, that seems to be something not mentioned much. Anyway, wondering other thoughts and rider's experiences on the subject?
Im tipping that the big difference between the custom x and hotknife is the magne traction and the camber profiles, they would have more of an impact on board speed than anything else.