Pretty new to the brands of snowboards... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pretty new to the brands of snowboards...

Hi, I have generally snowboard only a few times each winter and always get rentals but lately have been thinking of getting my own board since I'm planning to do it yearly casually.

I really don't know what a good brand is or model, I looked around the board and have a general idea but still confusing.

I guess my question is, what is the cheapest I can go before quality is really affected and brands are good?

Here are my stats too:
Weight - 160
Boot size - 10
Riding style - normal? Not goofy
Age - 29
budget - Depends on the answer someone gives me I guess
Your location of riding- Mostly in PA
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think rossignol might be one of the best bang for you buck brands. Mainly a ski company, but they are huge so quality is good.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

As long as you stay with a name brand board for your first one you'll be fine. Honestly for a first board there isn't some magical company that produces easier boards to learn on. In fact buying used is probably the best way to go. Get something used to get your feet wet for year one, and then when you've got a better idea of what you want to do, then work on which brand to buy.

For what it's worth, the three typical styles people talk about are:

freestyle - park, jails, butters, jibs, jumps, pipe, etc
all-mountain - some park, some groomer cruising, the occasional off-piste adventure (trees, bowls, chutes, etc.), also includes any in bounds on-piste jumps you can find
freeride - powder, chutes, glades, bowls, carving, powder jumps, etc.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

Just wondering, what is the cheapest I can go before quality really begins to suffer?

Like for mountain bikes, to get a decently solid mtn bike, it cost about $400 go unless you're really lucky with a sale or used one to get one priced lower.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
As long as you stay with a name brand board for your first one you'll be fine. Honestly for a first board there isn't some magical company that produces easier boards to learn on. In fact buying used is probably the best way to go. Get something used to get your feet wet for year one, and then when you've got a better idea of what you want to do, then work on which brand to buy.

For what it's worth, the three typical styles people talk about are:

freestyle - park, jails, butters, jibs, jumps, pipe, etc
all-mountain - some park, some groomer cruising, the occasional off-piste adventure (trees, bowls, chutes, etc.), also includes any in bounds on-piste jumps you can find
freeride - powder, chutes, glades, bowls, carving, powder jumps, etc.
What name brands would you recommend?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Actually there are tons of good snowboards in the mid price range. I think the market is flooded with mid-priced boards and there's not much in the way of high end stuff.

Just looked at my favorite place to buy boards, and you can get a good name brand all-mountain board for $199... I'm not sure how much below that I'd go.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Actually there are tons of good snowboards in the mid price range. I think the market is flooded with mid-priced boards and there's not much in the way of high end stuff.

Just looked at my favorite place to buy boards, and you can get a good name brand all-mountain board for $199... I'm not sure how much below that I'd go.
Thanks for the reply, just getting a good idea of the price range and brand that people go to. That helps a lot!