What is the right board for me? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was out at Vail two years ago and at Breckenridge last year. When I went out to Vail two years ago I had only been on a board for about 3 days so needless to say I wasn't very good. I wouldn't worry about Vail being too much for you. You probably won't be hitting up any blacks but compared to the the east coast, all the runs out there are epic and just so much better. Even just the greens are significantly longer and I think you'll end up progressing faster by going out there since you'll spend less time in lines and on the lift and more time riding/practicing. Just don't get stuck on catwalks!

Also, there are plenty of groomed blues and blacks for if you're feeling adventurous but don't want to deal with the bumpiness of ungroomed ones.

In terms of boards I have pretty limited experience, but I was riding a k2 raygun before I upgraded this year. It was a really nice board and pretty forgiving imo. It could handle the beginner/intermediate riding I was doing pretty well and I would definitely take a look at it. If you can get your hands on last year's model, it won't be too expensive either.

:EDIT:

Also, $100/day was definitely worth it, for me at least. Even a terrible day out west is better than a great day back east. If you figure on average for a full day weekend lift ticket in say PA, it costs like $70 bucks and every run I went on (even when I was still learning at the beginning) took me a max of like 2 minutes. I remember at the end of my first day coming down the mountain at Vail (at a noob pace) it took me closer to 20-25min. I think an extra $40 or so for thata is worth it and I think if you go, you'll just fall in love with the sport even more.

Last edited by inpajamas; 01-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.
inpajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

$70 a day to ride in PA... snows not free somebody has to pay for it. unless you live in Washington where it magically falls from the sky...
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default awesome day..

My day can't get better. lol So like I said my housing (friends place), plane ticket (frequent flyer miles) are taken care of. I traded beef jerky (I own a beef jerky company and smokehouse-jcjerky.com) for lift tickets for the whole time I am there. Now the kicker.. One of my friends sits high on the hanson's beverage corp for Monster Energy. He called me. He gave me a 2013 GNU Riders Choice C2 PTX Danny Kaas 155 board with bindings.. It matches perfect for my weight/size and it has great overall reviews... Of course naturally I will have to ship him some jerky/smoked meat products for hooking me up... Seems like this is going to be a great vacation. I need it haven't left my business in 4 years!! I appreciate all great input.. shane
sadutil1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

riders choice and the danny kass are different models, im guessing it is the danny kass (think he is a monster rider?) and it comes in a 155. width is 25.3 so it should work your size 12s. Its flatter and stiffer for a gnu board so if its never been rode i'd detune the tips of the mag bumps, more in the tips than the middle so the board doesnt feel catchy. If its cold, rewax it with a cold temp wax.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

yes it's a Danny Kaas. Was researching so much wasn't paying much attention when I wrote. lol Never rode brand new.. Not sure about detune mags but will def look into it.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't have to grind or file it down but use a stone to take the knife edge off
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadutil1500 View Post
yes it's a Danny Kaas. Was researching so much wasn't paying much attention when I wrote. lol Never rode brand new.. Not sure about detune mags but will def look into it.
nice man! i have an 09 kass and the board is awesome..and thats before the C2BTX and all that jazz..it is a stiffer board though since it was mainly a pipe deck..idk if that still holds true for this year.

i LOVE beef jerky..hook a dude up lol

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

They did change a few things on this years model. It's a 6.5 out of 10 on the stiff scale. Being more stiff and a fast board is what has me a little on edge being a beginner boarder. I was looking at a burton blunt 156 Wide. I realize this board is 10 x the board. Just hoping I can handle it being a beginner. I am decent for a beginner. Or so I have been told. lol But I will only just ride down the mountain. Can't afford to crash off jumps. I am nuts enough on motorcycles. lol You place a order at JCJERKY.COM and I will treat you right if you email letting me know we chatted here. Shane
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i hear that. dont worry, the board is maybe 5% of everything...youll be able to progress on it and ride it for a few seasons and love it...enjoy man

and i will definitely let you know!

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote