What is the right board for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is the right board for me?

I just started boarding this year and I have a borrowed board. Its a shorter board (148) because I was told it was easier learning. However at times I catch a edge and bite it. lol Getting decent now and trying to find the right board for me before I buy one. I am 5'6" / 5' 7" 195 lbs. I wear a size 12 snow boot. I am a free ride rider. Just like to go down the mountain no rails or anything like that. I ride mostly east coast (ex. smuggs, jay peak, titus, and whiteface) however in Feb I am going out to Vail to visit friends so I plan on boarding there.. It was recommended to start of with a Burton Blunt Vrocker board 155/156. Curious what people think. thanks shane
sadutil1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

not for freeride
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

suggestion?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The blunt is a softer freestyle board, it would work but won't be ideal one you start to push it harder.

Check out the gnu carbon credit or k2 raygun, both good boards for all types of riding. You should be able to find deals on them too. The rocker on the gnu will make it quicker and more nimble to turn, the k2 will feel more stable.

At your weight id be looking for a 157 to 160. With a size 12 I would opt for a wide board, I have size ten boots 22in stance and +/- 15 angles and get drag with boards with a waist width of 25cm or less. Others will tell you your fine on a normal board. It depends on your style of riding I like to carve turns with speed which is when drag happens. It you just cruise around and slide turns drag is less of an issue.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i suggest something in the 156 range also but stiffer..burton's site recommends a 162W for your weight and shoe size..go on their website and try using the boardfinder.

if this is your first season then Vail is going to be wayyy too much for you

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

if you are freeriding, you should look at something around a 158 and nothing smaller for your weight
triumph.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post

if this is your first season then Vail is going to be wayyy too much for you
I've never been to vail but I've never been to a mountain that doesn't have groomed blue and green runs all over the mt. I thought blue groomers are what colorado skiing is all about, and looking good. Is it worth the $100+ a day when you can't ride the entire area? I don't think anywhere is worth $100 a day.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
I've never been to vail but I've never been to a mountain that doesn't have groomed blue and green runs all over the mt. I thought blue groomers are what colorado skiing is all about, and looking good. Is it worth the $100+ a day when you can't ride the entire area? I don't think anywhere is worth $100 a day.
ive never ridden Vail so i wouldnt know, but its a major change from the East Coast - the elevation alone is gonna take a day or two to get used to. I mean, enjoy and be safe, im sure youll have fun, but i wouldnt make that trip my first season

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a pile of friends that have lived in Vail a long time. they promised me that they won't let the mountain swallow me. lol They say there are plenty of trails for all boarder levels. I also got tickets for 50.00 and some free ones and I used frequent flyer miles for flight. Free housing. I am going to see my friends and also try the mountains but nothing crazy. But I agree if I was serious and going just for the mountains I would wait until I have some experience under my belt for sure.. I have been riding a short 148. I am really thinking a 156 is what I will get.Most sites suggest 156-158 for my weight. Burton does suggest 158-162. I didn't think finding a board would be more difficult than buying my harley. lol thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

well finding the RIGHT board might take a little more time, but at least its not a multi-thousand dollar investment lol. I would look at a 157-158 for your size..that way it wont be too small if you still want to charge later on...idk about whether you need a wide or not. my best advice is to go to a shop and see how size 12 boots fit with certain waist widths

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX