New Board Problems - can too little weight be a problem? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denimgrl66 View Post
Haha...just to save you the effort, the "grl" is misleading... the "66" refers to my year of birth .
lol, I don't discriminate by age! Plenty of good looking people of all ages in this world!

Welcome to the party...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Haha...just to save you the effort, the "grl" is misleading... the "66" refers to my year of birth .
To be totally fair, if the "how old are you thread" is correct you actually aren't all that far off from our average aged rider who posts on this forum.

Back to the real point, it's good to hear you are willing to stick with it. As someone already mentioned if you ever have problems getting a friend or significant other to video you making turns is pretty useful. You can watch yourself and see what's happening, and if you're the adventurous type you can actually link the videos here and get really excellent advice. I'll probably go ahead and agree that another lesson would be the best route simply because you get immediate feedback.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegreen View Post
To be totally fair, if the "how old are you thread" is correct you actually aren't all that far off from our average aged rider who posts on this forum.

Back to the real point, it's good to hear you are willing to stick with it. As someone already mentioned if you ever have problems getting a friend or significant other to video you making turns is pretty useful. You can watch yourself and see what's happening, and if you're the adventurous type you can actually link the videos here and get really excellent advice. I'll probably go ahead and agree that another lesson would be the best route simply because you get immediate feedback.
Yeah, might try that...and interesting about age. And I forgot to mention that I have 4 kids, lol! But I look and feel young and am athletic so its made it easier to pick this up. It's the first time I've used a forum for anything and I'm really impressed with all the help!
Denimgrl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
lol, I don't discriminate by age! Plenty of good looking people of all ages in this world!

Welcome to the party...
The Snowboard party or the old people party?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Yeah, might try that...and interesting about age. And I forgot to mention that I have 4 kids, lol! But I look and feel young and am athletic so its made it easier to pick this up. It's the first time I've used a forum for anything and I'm really impressed with all the help!
Quote:
The Snowboard party or the old people party?
You just answered your own question... The forum is the party lol Lots of people with kids here too. I got into skiing because of my dad, and now I'm trying to get my best friends kid out skiing/boarding with us as often as possible. She's 2 1/2...

Enjoy!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
You just answered your own question... The forum is the party lol Lots of people with kids here too. I got into skiing because of my dad, and now I'm trying to get my best friends kid out skiing/boarding with us as often as possible. She's 2 1/2...

Enjoy!
I started snowboarding because my 7 year old started to ski. Now she wants to learn to snowboard so she can do both. lol
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:

Enjoy!
I feel welcome - thanks. I have aspirations to eventually ride on non-manmade snow, lol!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
I started snowboarding because my 7 year old started to ski. Now she wants to learn to snowboard so she can do both. lol
Good story...thanks for sharing .
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #29 (permalink)

I'm not an expert by any means. But I have recently been in a very similar situation. I feel your pain....It has been REALLY frustrating!! I have been boarding for 10 years (with a 3 yr break in the middle) and jut got a new board that I CAN NOT ride! Well, unless its steep and the snow conditions are perfect Having said that, I think I'm coming out the other side and I think there has been some really great advice given here. Here are a few I totally agree with!

1) Technique- If the size, length and width are right for you, it really is probably just a matter of technique. You learned to move your body to manipulate a different board. With this board that same movement isn't working any more. I would think the first thing would be to find out if there I something wrong with your technique and if its gong to be a learning curve thing or if the board just isn't a good board for you.

2) Mental barrier-Someone jokingly mentioned a mental barrier. But seriously, with my new board I found that I didnt like feeling out of control so much that I was a really timid rider on it. I didnt want to get hurt! So i went went way slow and spent all my time on much fatter terrain. I did his even though I know its MUCH harder to snowboard, initiate turns, control your board etc, when creeping along AND on flatter terrain. I actually wrecked HARD as a result. I totally had a little mental something going on because snowboarding is one of the only things I truly love in life.....and I wasnt loving it! All I knew is I did not like the way I felt on that board and I dint know why!

3) Which leads me to my last point. Do a TON of research and then go demo a bunch of different boards so you can identify what you like and don't like and why. That way youre not at the mercy of whatever board you blindly end up on. I'm grateful for this mess because I have learned so much about my riding style, what things I dig in a board, how snow conditions and my mental place effect those things, and different snowboards in general function. Turns out I think I had to much of a board for me. It was too wide, too stiff, and just too different than what I was used to.

In the end it's supposed to be fun. You need to be able to find a board you enjoy. Don't get too caught up on the th things people say you should like etc,. And if you decide this board jut isn't for you, you can always sell it.

Good luck....an sorry about all the typos.
Bauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauba View Post
I'm not an expert by any means. But I have recently been in a very similar situation. I feel your pain....It has been REALLY frustrating!! I have been boarding for 10 years (with a 3 yr break in the middle) and jut got a new board that I CAN NOT ride! Well, unless its steep and the snow conditions are perfect Having said that, I think I'm coming out the other side and I think there has been some really great advice given here. Here are a few I totally agree with!

1) Technique- If the size, length and width are right for you, it really is probably just a matter of technique. You learned to move your body to manipulate a different board. With this board that same movement isn't working any more. I would think the first thing would be to find out if there I something wrong with your technique and if its gong to be a learning curve thing or if the board just isn't a good board for you.

2) Mental barrier-Someone jokingly mentioned a mental barrier. But seriously, with my new board I found that I didnt like feeling out of control so much that I was a really timid rider on it. I didnt want to get hurt! So i went went way slow and spent all my time on much fatter terrain. I did his even though I know its MUCH harder to snowboard, initiate turns, control your board etc, when creeping along AND on flatter terrain. I actually wrecked HARD as a result. I totally had a little mental something going on because snowboarding is one of the only things I truly love in life.....and I wasnt loving it! All I knew is I did not like the way I felt on that board and I dint know why!

3) Which leads me to my last point. Do a TON of research and then go demo a bunch of different boards so you can identify what you like and don't like and why. That way youre not at the mercy of whatever board you blindly end up on. I'm grateful for this mess because I have learned so much about my riding style, what things I dig in a board, how snow conditions and my mental place effect those things, and different snowboards in general function. Turns out I think I had to much of a board for me. It was too wide, too stiff, and just too different than what I was used to.

In the end it's supposed to be fun. You need to be able to find a board you enjoy. Don't get too caught up on the th things people say you should like etc,. And if you decide this board jut isn't for you, you can always sell it.

Good luck....an sorry about all the typos.
Hey...thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response! You have some good points too. I'll admit that I think I do have a small limitation in that I am a bit afraid on the new board and perhaps I have a fear of spending a day on my butt, black and blue. I feel like I've been there and I thought I didn't have to go back there...but maybe I need to accept that I will have to take a few steps back in order to take many steps forward .

I should give the new board a chance, and then, as you said, it may be that it just doesn't work for me, and yeah, don't want to buy a new board unless I know that it will work for me. That's why I did contemplate buying the same kind as I rent.

It has been really fun and I hope that I can figure myself out while there is till snow on the ground .

Thanks again!

Tags
head tribute, new board problems, salomon lotus, weight