New Board Problems - can too little weight be a problem? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

Default Update...

Hey, thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice. I've been meaning to provide an update on my situation. I went boarding at a hill in NY and decided to take a one hour lesson. I explained my problem to the instructor and as soon as he watched me recreate it, he knew what I was doing wrong. Seems really basic, but I was almost skipping the step of getting the board flat and pointed straight downhill during the transition from heel side to toe. Maybe with the rental board I had managed to somehow slide into the turn. Anyways, I easily corrected it and it was smooth sailing from that point onward, pretty much, although after two days of riding, I felt very comfortable, but still not "loving" the new board and yearning a bit for the old rental. Since then, I've been out 3 more times and officially LOVE my board! I'm so glad I stuck with it. Your advice certainly helped.

The season is pretty much over here but I am lucky enough to be able to go to Whistler next week for 3 days, which, for a novice like me, is very exciting!

Many thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denimgrl66 View Post
After boarding about 8 times and improving enough to make it down a hill consistently at a decent speed, without falling and feeling pretty comfortable, I bought my first board, a Salomon Lotus 142. I discovered that I could not even turn without wiping out. It seemed as though I could not manipulate this board to turn like I could with the rentals or that perhaps it was too long. Particularly, it felt like when I applied pressure to my front foot, it had no effect on the board, unlike I was used to. I was able to exchange the board for a 138. Same problem, mildly improved. I went back to the rental I was used to, a Head Tribute 140 (freestyle) and resumed my ability to make turns easily and sail down the hill.

So, I don't know what the problem is. I hesitate buying a new board in case I encounter the same problem, unless I buy the same board as I rent. Also wondering if possibly, my weight is too little for the type of board I am using. I am 5'1" and 105 lbs. Also, if anyone knows a Burton Board that would be comparable to the Head Tribute, that would be great to know.

Any help is appreciated
Denimgrl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

that's awesome, keep at it...i hope whistler treats you to some good conditions
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
That and, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a flat or zero camber board behave differently in turn initiation that a camber profile? I recall when switching from camber to C2BTX I had to adjust (dial it back) otherwise I would wash out.
I was going to mention this also. A year ago I went from a Burton rental with camber to a my new zero camber board and the thing felt possessed. All of a sudden I couldn't turn and I could barely stop. It felt stupid weird. I have been snowboarding for a year now and this does not happen when I try different boards now. I think when you are first learning you are so focused on moving the board exactly right that you get locked in to that board. Any slight change throws you off completely. Have fun. I have 4 kids also and we are having a blast.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Gadget View Post
I was going to mention this also. A year ago I went from a Burton rental with camber to a my new zero camber board and the thing felt possessed. All of a sudden I couldn't turn and I could barely stop. It felt stupid weird. I have been snowboarding for a year now and this does not happen when I try different boards now. I think when you are first learning you are so focused on moving the board exactly right that you get locked in to that board. Any slight change throws you off completely. Have fun. I have 4 kids also and we are having a blast.
You made some great points! Congrats on 4 kids too. It's a busy life, ain't it? Mine have just started skiing, they love it and I never knew how fun it would be to spend a day out on the hill with them...it's so much fun! Enjoy
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
that's awesome, keep at it...i hope whistler treats you to some good conditions
Thanks...I hope Whistler treats me well, too .
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

One last, sad update to this thread. This afternoon, as I went to the garage to pack up my board to take on my trip, I discovered that it has been stolen. A result of the door accidentally being left open .

Stay tuned for my next post: "New New Board Problems...".
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Oh no!! Bummer. Lots of sales right now though.

Last edited by Board Gadget; 04-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Board Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

That is such a drag, stolen board is the worst,empty feeling. I would rather have a car accident

Don't let it damp your fire to ride though! Get another and do what you had intended
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #39 (permalink)

Lots of great cheap boards in Whistler if you're still headed out this way!

I rode with some Aussie babes a few weeks ago and one of them bought a new board and the shop couldn't get rid of it so the dude literally said "name your price and it's yours"!
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denimgrl66 View Post
One last, sad update to this thread. This afternoon, as I went to the garage to pack up my board to take on my trip, I discovered that it has been stolen. A result of the door accidentally being left open .
Oh that sucks!!! I was born in Richmond Hill, it's not the place it used to be. More of Toronto 2.0 now methinks.

I left all my guns on the tailgate of my truck one night here in Calgary. They were all in locked cases of course, but, yup. Tailgate down, right next to the sidewalk.

Found them sitting right where I left them in the morning.

Anyway, hope you get a new girl soon!!!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head tribute, new board problems, salomon lotus, weight