Snowboard opinions for beginner to intermediate - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard opinions for beginner to intermediate

Hi guys

This is my 3rd time going to the snow and i am really motivated on improving that i went out and bought my own gear, i have everything except the snowboard and bindings. I plan to travel overseas to japan and canada for snowboarding and i need something that will grow with me as i get better.

My goal for june/july (Australian winter) is to be able to connect my S turns and hopefully learn switch then do a bit of park stuff in the future. I have stalked many forums and read a bundle of reviews on a large number of boards but still get mixed feelings for each one of them. I've also been recommended to get a intermediate/advanced board as i will most likely out skill the beginner board. Here is what i have listed so far:

Forum Recon - Won awards and recieved a large number of positive feedback but my local dealer says that it will not allow me to advance further then the beginner level and claimed it to be a dud board so he suggested that i get a forum stomper which worked out to be an intermediate board were i'll get more bang from my buck but i think he was just trying to offload it since he didn't have the recon in stock.

K2 anagram - More of a freestyle beginner board
Burton Clash - Not sure but i heard good reviews on this board
Ride agenda - True Twin board but have not got many feedback on this board and not sure whether it will last me
Rome Agent - Don't know much about this board either
Nitro Revolt - Don't know much about this board either

What are your personal opinions and what would you suggest?

Personal stats:

H: 5'9"(175cm)
W:170lbs(77Kg)
Shoe: US8.5

Board length: 155cm to 158cm
krazibone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you planning on buying locally or possibly from the US? I know SierraSnowboard has half off and decent rates for shipping.

Boards you may want to look into: Salomon Prospect, GNU CHB MTX, Capita Stairmaster, maybe the Gnu Rider's Choice or Ride DH.

The agent would also be a good choice. Just figured I'd give you a heads up on Sierra because apparently the prices overseas is pretty outrageous.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Heya Minger

I plan on purchasing in the states the boards in Australia are marked up by 100% here, i am better off using the spare cash for a pair of decent bindings. Checked out Dogfunk,backcountry (same business i believe) and also sierra but they stock a large amount of Burton which can't be shipped out of the US also looked on ebay. Currently having a brain overload by looking at different types of snowboards and checking out the reviews.

Had a look the GNU CHB MTX the megatron(lol) feature is interesting. I'll have a look at the other ones you've suggested Minger. Thanks

Rome agent looks promising its more of an intermediate board i think.....

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, at the moment I have a slight bias towards Gnu...partially because I found a Rider's Choice MTX for 150 and got the CHB MTX for free, but can't use them until next season.

Lets see...
Bindings:
Union Binding Union Force
Ride Binding Ride Delta Movement

Boots...should probably find in store because if its not comfortable, it won't be fun. Otherwise, there are some vans that are size 9.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah i am currently looking into the CHB MTX board at the moment, interesting board.

Boots i have a pair of shaun whites in US8.5 (i wear US 9.0) as i was advised they would pack out after some heavy use. Do you think it would be a good idea to spend a bit of money on bindings as bindings don't change as your skill level increases? I was looking at something on the line of Burton Cartels or Rome 390s.

Not sure how accurate this site is but it does give a me rough estimate on what to get:

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator this might help a few people.

Last edited by krazibone; 05-26-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Was gonna say if u need a pair of boots, i got a pair of Ride Nova's in US8.5 that i brought back to Aust. from Canada when i was there, they r a lil too small for me, only used a couple of times n is just sittin in my closet now. Hot looking boots too. So if u know anyone local who wants sum boots lemme kno.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I bought a Rome Agent 156 from REI.com for $325 USD including shipping which i think is a good deal, impulse is to be blamed for this purchase i hope i made the right choice.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Snowolf

Thanks for re-assuring me on my choice, i'll also look at the 390 bindings..... at this point in time it looks very promising.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Bindings

Personally i believe the boots are the most important aspect. Why? Because if you don't have good boots, your feet will hurt, cramp, or freeze and then guess what...the boards useless. The 390's may not be the best choice out there so keep on looking until you find three pairs that you like and then pick the one with the best durability.

Snowboarders SoCal

Last edited by CoffeeNhugz; 05-26-2008 at 09:37 PM.
CoffeeNhugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah in order of importance it's:

boots
bindings
board

Good luck, and try on a billion pairs of boots before making a decision
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote