What board should I get first? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
eidgm

Default What board should I get first?

So I've been snowboarding about 10 times and have always rented boards at the resorts. Well I love the sport and am finally buying a new board. I just got a new DNA jacket on sale that im in love with so I have the bug now. Here are my stats. 6'3" 235 but athletic build and size 13 shoes. I'll be riding be mostly just riding freestyle, not a big trick guy or anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys, this is my first post so hopefully ill get some good feedback. Boots and bindings help would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
eidgm

Little help here guys?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

^^^^^^^Damns Snow that's a large ass post, you must of have a lot of time in your hands
Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lazz

Hey there...

I'm also very new to snowboarding. I've actually only been ONCE, but absolutely loved it! Unfortunately had a severe knee injury shortly after and I've been out for 2 years... but now I feel ready to hit the slopes again.

I plan to board leisurely (a few weekend trips each snow season in AUS), but definately something i want to commit to.

Was looking for a good beginner's board for AUS conditions (icy?), but also good enough to progress to intermediate. My mate strongly recommended the GNU CHB MTX (as the magnetraction will really help in AUS conditions)

Height: 173cm / 5'8
Weight: 75kg / 165lb

Unfortunately I cannot get the 153cm board, but 156 is available.

Question:
Will the 156 be too long for me, esp for a beginner? How will the extra 3cm affect my boarding, especially in AUS conditions?
Would I be better off getting another board in 153 (perhaps w/o MTX)? Any recommendations?

All feedback greatly appreciated - Cheers
Laz
Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Honsetly I think the 153 is in your sorter range, I think you are better off with the 156. It will give you stability you need on piste and it's not to long to consider hitting the park and a few rail.

As far as that board in particular, I am afraid I don't have any experience in it.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
eidgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
First off, welcome to the forum; stick around and you will get lots of good advice and feedback as you progress in this sport. I moved your post into this section where you will get a much better viewing and response.

Let`s start with the basics, your type of riding you describe is free ride or all mountain. Freestyle is all about the tricks. Ant relatively new rider should spend the first season learning to ride and getting down all of the fundamentals to riding before deciding to go in any particular direction with their riding. As such, your first board should be a true all mountain board.

There are 3 basic types of board; freestyle, free ride and all mountain. The freestyle and free ride boards tend to be engineered to do their tasks very well at a slight cost of performance in other areas. An all mountain board is designed to do everything reasonably well at the slight cost of not excelling in one area. They are the most versatile board out there. They have a directional design to them with a slight stance setback to make them ride well directional, yet still handle switch riding well. They will generally have a gentle side cut that is either radial or progressive. A radial side cut has an even radius throughout the side cut while a progressive starts out mild and gradually deepens. This allow the rider to enter turns very gently and power out of the turn aggressively. All mountain boards also tend to have a middle of the road flex pattern to them both longitudinally and torsionally ( the ability to twist the board ).

With size 13 boots you are going to be needing a wide board. Most snowboards come is a fairly standard waist width of around 25 CM give or take 1/2 CM A wide board will run around 26-27 CM waist width giving the big footed rider a board where heel and toe drag is eliminated. Length is almost solely determined by the rider`s weight not height. The only time height is a factor is when dealing with non standard height to weight ratios such as a very tall, but skinny rider or a really heavy, short rider. The adjustment for height has to do with stance width. In your case, for an all mountain board, you will be looking at something in the mid 160 CM range. I would be looking at somewhere around a 162- 164 range for all mountain use and perhaps knocking that up to around a 167-169 if you plan on really focusing on cruising and riding fast or deal with powder. A longer board is much more stable at higher speeds and floats better on powder due to increased surface area. The downside is the length begins to effect turning radius and these things tend to turn like a school bus when they get too long. A shorter board is much easier to turn, spin in the park and negotiates trees more adeptly, but they really become unstable at speeds a longer board is quiet at. The 164-166 range would be right in the middle for you.

As for specific boards, its like the Ford vs Chevy argument; everyone has their favorites and all of the top manufacturers have really good stuff in their higher end lines. People will give opinions based on their riding experience so check em all out and see what appeals to you most. Brands like Ride Burton, Neversummer, Arbor, Gnu and Libtech are all very good as are a lot of others; just look at their upper end lines. For may part I am a big fan of Atomic and Rome and will give you a couple of terrific boards from them that will serve you well. Others will do the same.

Bindings are very important too; you want a binding that is as light as possible but for free ride/all mountain gives ample support while remaining flexible enough to be forgiving of errors in control. I am a huge fan of Rome bindings and you will find in many reviews they score very high. The Rome Arsenal is ideal for a newer rider to learn on as well as for advanced riders who need more support for back country. They have the stiffest high back in Rome`s line and are a superb binding. Very comfortable, supportive, responsive and the things are bullet proof. I have these on my big mountain/back country board. I rode in Fairbanks Alaska in -38F weather and when most plastic and ladder straps shatter, these held up with no issue for 8 days of hard riding. The 390`s are the bomb! These things are such a fun binding and are much more flexible with a taller, narrower and softer high back. The 390`s are the choice for free stylers. They are identical to the Arsenals except for the high back and the extra padding on the straps. I rock these on my all mountain and park boards. The Targas are the premium binding; they are really 390`s with a lot of extra features. A bit heavier and the hogback is a little softer still. They have an adjustable torsional flex to them as well. There are tons of great bindings out there (Drake, Union, Ride, Burton etc) but these Rome`s are up in the top 10 list for sure.

Rome Snowboard Bindings | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2008

My board pics for your needs:

Atomic:

Radon, Exeter, Triarc or Alibi Wide...very solid boards. The Radon is the Cold Smoke`s "big brother" and accommodates a larger boot, but it may not be wide enough for a size 13. The Alibi Wide is ideal but is pricey. The Exeter and Triarc are good boards. Atomics are very stable and easy to ride even as a newbie yet perform to the demands of an advance rider in advanced terrain. Atomic is known for their keen, sharp edges which hold well in ice.

Atomic Snowboarding

Rome:

For your boot size, the Rome Flag or the Rome Slash. The Flag is basically the Rome Anthem in a wide and is the kingpin of Rome`s free ride/all mountain lineup. The Slash is a wide version of the Agent and is again, a mainstay of Romes with a little more of a freestyle twist. The Agent/Slash rides well all mountain so don`t let the freestyle label turn you off. Very solid boards and I recommend these as highly as the Atomics.

Rome Boards | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2008

Ride:

The board that I am familiar with here that would be ideal for a big footed rider is the Ride Yukon. It is a pretty stiff board, so that will be a little more of a challenge to learn on but not too difficult. In the end you would come to really love this board.

Ride Snowboards 07/08

Did`nt mean to give you "War & Peace" here, but this should help you get a really good start on your shopping....
I really appreciate all the help. I took your advice and have been looking pretty solidly at the Atomic Alibi but a lot of people seem to think the Burton Custom Wide is comparable but a little bit better. I was wondering what you thought about that specific board. Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
01NST5

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

if you're interested in obtaining a board, look for a used one on craigs list or through local channels. You'll need to know what you're looking for in regards to size, width and type.. but you can save yourself a bunch of money this way.. With a 'cheap' board, you won't worry so much about the board and be able to focus on improving your ride. All this experince will help you figure out what it is that you like or don't like.

you'll also need to know what size your boots are before you get bindings (example: my regular shoe size is 11, but my Burtons are size 12

YMMV
Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
eidgm

I went with the Burton Custom Wide. Thanks for the advice guys.