Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   K2 Protohype 2011/12 for Beginner (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/56169-k2-protohype-2011-12-beginner.html)

Endlesscc 01-18-2013 10:03 AM

K2 Protohype 2011/12 for Beginner

Hello!

First post at the forum and being a snowboarder noob I have a couple questions for the expert!

I started snowboarding last year , went 5 times, always rented equipment and can barely snowboard from top of the hill to the bottom :p but I am so in love with the sport.

Instead of renting the equipment again I decided to buy my own this year and had my eyes on k2 Protohype ( yes I understand it is an expert board) due to the huge price cut, $299 at a local retail store for 153. Binding would be K2 Formula and Northwave Freedom SL boot.

I understand that the Protohype is an expert and freestyle board, and being a beginner and only want to learn to snowboard from top if the hill to the bottom, and will not be doing any park or jumping, I am worried if Protohype would be a decent board for me.

I read a lot of review about the Protohype, reviews said itis stiff,damp and fast. I am wondering if a beginner like me would benefit from the board or the board will limit my growth in the sport?

Thank you

triumph.man 01-18-2013 10:30 AM

you will learn eventually, but your learning curve will take much longer.

Endlesscc 01-18-2013 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply!

So a better idea would be getting something cheaper?
I have seen K2 Darkside, Burton Clash, k2 control etc for similar price. Really only reason I wanted the Protohype is because the sales person said it is a really good deal at $699 and came down to 299$.

So my next question would be, will the Protohype limit my growth , and is it a bad board for only riding from the top to the bottom? Thanks!

Oh and for more information my price range would be 250-400 for board, 100-200 for binding and around 100 for boots.
I wear size 7 , medium binding and weight 155lb so I am guessing 153cm board would be ok if not too long for me?

Endlesscc 01-18-2013 01:26 PM

Need more advice from fellow expert I want a board by tomorrow so I can go ride with my GF :p ... So it is a no go for k2 Protohype at $300 being a beginner? And what about k2 Formula 2011 binding at $149

Thanks!

Weipim 01-18-2013 03:52 PM

bindings are too expensive should be below 100

For the board as long as its ur size u r fine

Steep lc equals to a better foundation sometimes

Endlesscc 01-18-2013 04:58 PM

Ya I weight 70kg which is 155lb, 153cm board should ge within my range.
:dizzy::dizzy: steep learning curve lol, oh well hopefully it help me growth!

Hmmm I might look around for better price binding then, what would you suggest?

Sudden_Death 01-18-2013 05:15 PM

As far as "advanced" boards go while it is stiff it is a flat camber which is a bit more forgiving. The Formula is an awesome binding so you are good there. I have the Freedom SLs and find them very comfortable, though boot fit is very much a personal thing. And where are people finding Formulas for under $100?

Endlesscc 01-18-2013 05:48 PM

K that got me worried because my next option would be Burton Process Flying V ( the graphic is awesome lol ) ... I just want to make good use of the board that's why I asked u pro here in the forum before I dished out the money.

Weipim 01-18-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlesscc (Post 601122)
K that got me worried because my next option would be Burton Process Flying V ( the graphic is awesome lol ) ... I just want to make good use of the board that's why I asked u pro here in the forum before I dished out the money.

i got mine at a local shop in colorado for 80...

the new ones are like 200 for 2013's, paying 150 for 2011's is ridiculous....

Weipim 01-18-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlesscc (Post 601122)

i wouldn't go process flying V if I am you. It is a good all around board but u will like protohype a lot more once u master ur skills