Any beacon advice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
geoko

Default Any beacon advice?

Well, it's time for a new avalanche beacon, I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations. I've head some good stuff about the Back Country Access Tracker DTS, but I figgerred I might as well ask here before buying. (And no, Rome doesn't make one. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pieps DSP is still the best digital beacon out there for the money. It gets almost double the receive range of a Tracker. Plus with the three antenna it almost completely eliminates spikes. Very good at picking up a signal and zeroing you in to the victim. I consistently hit the pack that we bury a beacon in within 3-4 probes. Has a nice multiple burial feature too where you can mask out a found beacon. You should never be in a multiple situation but they happen.
If the Pieps is a little pricey, the Ortovox D3 is a quality beacon imo. It's also a 3 antenna digital beacon, has about the same range as the Tracker. One of the most sensitive I have used. Once you are to your pinpoint search, I consistently found out that if I probed the snow directly under my nutsack I hit the pack. Often times just one probe and a strike. The multiple search function is much like the tracker. It just lets you know it's reading more than one beacon.
The Tracker is tried and true and effective. It hasn't been my favorite for a good number of years now.
The new Ortovox S1 promised to be a leap forward in searching. It is when it's working fine, slow signal reacquisition and a few quirks, make me think that it needs another generation or two to become what it promises. It's a neato beacon, but I am not ready to plunk $600 into it yet. Even so, if you got one, it works well enough.
All of the beacons will do the job for you. The key thing is practice. The best beacon out there is the one you know how to use. You can be just as effective at searching with an analog beacon vs a digital. The F1 is a tried and true beacon, but you need to spend some quality time with it to be able to use it effectively in an emergency. That is the main reason I recommend digital beacons. They are easier to figure out how to use.

I am friends with the guys who run Patroller Supply. They have consistently given discounts on their beacons and avy gear to people I have forwarded to them. Just let them know I recommended you to them if you decide to buy from them.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
geoko

Awesome thanks dude, I'll look into it.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Pieps DSP is still the best digital beacon out there
QFT. it rocks! but ain't worth a thing unless you practice
Old 06-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah man for real its practice makes almost perfect.

umgd
jonspeaks22 is offline   Reply With Quote