removing burrs from edge‏ - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default removing burrs from edge‏

I have a Burton Cheetah board but im not sure what base bevel and side bevel it has. So Burton boards mainly have SIDE1°BASE1° and does that rule apply to this freeride board?

Now my edge has some protruding burrs and should I use this edge polisher? Base Side Bevel File Guide SWIX XF Ski Snowboard Edge Tool

For the edge polisher I should use the side angle 89° and base angle1°, right ?

if i use 88° for the side then its gonna scrap out excess metal. But how about if I use 0.5° for the base? It will not scrap anything even for the burrs as the angle is smaller than the base bevel?
kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have a set of diamond stones I use for taking the burrs out of my edge, most files will be too abrasive and take off more edge then you want for just taking out a few burrs.

I also don't use a file guide when I do this, just do it by hand. I figured the grit on the diamond stones is too fine to really change the angle of my edge but I could be wrong about that.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just take a gummy or diamond stone and remove the burrs. Slide it across the base a few times and side a few times till it's smooth. Just file the side edge, shouldn't have to worry about your base edge bevel.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Cro 's right. You want to use diamond stone to polish. A file will take off too much metal and you'll end up needing base grinds and your sidewalls planed to keep it flat with the edge

I personally use different bevels on my boards so I use an SKS tool with the file to set the angle and then polish and sharpen with a set of diamond stones. The tool just helps to stay consistent. I use it so much that it's more than paid for itself.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

do i still need to file the edges after i have polished them with the diamond stone/gummy stone?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

and how does a gummy stone differ from a diamond stone
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanagi View Post
do i still need to file the edges after i have polished them with the diamond stone/gummy stone?
no, that would ruin the "polish" of the edge. diamond stones should be the last step in edge maintenance.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
and how does a gummy stone differ from a diamond stone
Gummy and Ceramic stones are used for egde polishing too, they also come in different coarseness from rough to ultra fine. It's my understanding that the daimond stones are finer, keep their consistency longer, and are designed to fit into file guides, whereas the gummy stones are done used by hand.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

so I would use a file only if I wanted to tune the edges, i.e. changing the bevel angles?

so for removing minor nicks, a diamond stone would be better because its finer??

and one more stupid question, I can deburr both the side edges and the base edges without ruinging the bevel angles? the nicks come in both directions.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
so I would use a file only if I wanted to tune the edges, i.e. changing the bevel angles?

so for removing minor nicks, a diamond stone would be better because its finer??

and one more stupid question, I can deburr both the side edges and the base edges without ruinging the bevel angles? the nicks come in both directions.
I change the bevel angles with the file. This usually only needs to be done once. Then I put the daimond stones in the file guide to remove the burrs with a 200 grit stone, then I put in a 400 grit stone to start the polish and finish it off with a 600 grit stone. The guide ensures you stay on the angle you set the bevel at.

The tool I use does both side and base angles.