Designing a snowboard binding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
pneub

Default Designing a snowboard binding

Hey everybody. I've been snowboarding for about 10 years now and have taken on the project of designing a new style of snowboard binding. I'm currently in my senior year as an industrial design student and looking for what people have to say about their gear. Any insight about what you would like to see changed or featured in a binding would be appreciated, or if you can just answer the few questions I have then maybe a better binding can come from your help. Thank you

What style of rider are you and how long have you been riding?

What bindings do you use? Why? What features make them the ones you chose?

What adjustments do you make on the mountain in a normal day?

How often do you change your forward lean, stance, or highback angle in a single day?

Have you broken a binding? If so how?

Do your bindings cause pressure points? If so where?

What would make your bindings better? Quicker strap-in time? Faster adjustments? Cheaper? More durable? Easier to collapse or take off? Anything?

Thanks for your answers and your time. See you guys next winter with a new prototype for a binding at mammoth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
geoko

I've been riding for about 13 years, mostly freeride, but it's not too uncommon to find me meandering the park.

I have Forum Republics. They're extremely comfy and responsive, and they have a really nice toe rise for those of us with the bigger feet. And I'm not above admitting that they're pretty too.

I generally don't make too many adjustments on the mountain. I usually get everythign set how I want it the day before. I generally check to make sure that my baseplates and straps are all screwed in tight, and occasionally I'll end up tweaking my stance during the day.

How often do you change your forward lean, stance, or highback angle in a single day?
Not much if at all.

I've mostly just had screws come loose on me and lose parts. Lost a clip on my old bindings because the screw came out, I'm guessing when I got off the lift or something. The other time was while I was hiking in the backcountry and had my board strapped to my backpack. One of the straps came unscrewed and fell off somewhere on the hill - luckily there was a group behind us and somebody picked it up and brought it to the top.

As I mentioned, I find them really comfy, actually. The straps are nice and padded, and don't cause any particular problems for me. The toe cap has slipped off my foot a couple of times, but it's pretty rare and usually the result of a rushed strap in job.

What would make your bindings better? Quicker strap-in time? Faster adjustments? Cheaper? More durable? Easier to collapse or take off? Anything?
Quicker strap in time couldn't hurt, but I'd have no idea how to reduce it shy of dramatic design alterations. cheaper is a dangerous word, I would be hard pressed to shell out $500 for bindings, but I would rather have a quality binding than save money by getting $50 ones. Easier to take off / change stance could be handy - when I travel for snowboarding I usually bring 2 boards and one pair of bindings. After a long day on the slopes, dinner, and an undisclosed number of cocktails , changing those things between boards and getting the stance set up again is a nightmare.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
pneub

Thank you geoko for responding.

I need more help though guys. The evolution of snowboard gear comes from trying out new ideas and the more feedback I get from riders then the better concepts I can produce. Even if you don't really have any complaints about your bindings, I'd really appreciate your response. Thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Like allmountain freestyle I guess? I love the whole mountain but can't resist cab 3's at every opportunity! 6 Years riding aswell now I think.

Ride EX because they were cheap, simple and still decent response. Oh and they're white and orange, do you need anything else?

None really, once I get them set up thats it, aside from re tightening those damn baseplates!

Never.

Straps on my old Cartels all the time, also on those I sheared the notches on the forward lean system from doing too many fs 3's with my forward lean cranked up.

Nope it's all good!

Honestly for the price I wouldn't change anything at all, maybe better straps but then I just have to buy a higher model.

Last edited by Snowjoe; 06-05-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

pretty much just freeride with a tiny bit of park every once in a while

union forces. they are moderately priced, durable and comfortable.

i will occassionally change the forward lean while on the mountain

as stated before, sometimes i will change forward lean on the mountain, but i almost never change my stance or highback angle

i broke a pair of bindings on the toe strap just because the plastic strap broke

my current bindings dont, but my old borton freestyles caused pressure points on my ankles.

of course a quicker strapin would be nice, but i am fine with the time it takes me to strap in now. the only adjustment change i would like to see is a quicker stance degree change. it gets annoying having to take my baseplate sover off and then having to loosen all four screws just to change my stance.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
siberianmist

just make them lightweight and durable. keep the conventional design.

let the union force mc be your mentor.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
con3593

agree with the guy above, just try to make it easier and quicker to make adjustments
Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
NzGnu

uhh mostly freride i guess, just poppin off and jibbing natural terrain. couple runs through the park a day but prefer the whole mountain as my playground

Burton cartels, they're super comfortable and good for all types of riding.

uhh occasionally have to change my highback to get it aligned with my edge properly...sometimes it slips. or just angle and stance width occasionally

rarely change forward lean, try to change everything as little as possible but sometimes require tweaking if ive had my bindings off my board so maybe once/twice on the odd day.

both my old nitro bindings i broke the ratchet on the toe strap trying to get my toes cranked down.

old bindings use to across my toes, but the toe caps seem to have solved this.

more durable would be key, and faster stance width and angle adjustments would be good, like someone else said having to unscrew all four screws to change a couple of degrees is a pain in the ass.