Looking for a board between 136-140cm - help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a board between 136-140cm - help

Want to buy my girlfriend a new board as a surprise. She just rides the mountain and tries to enjoy herself.

I am looking for a board between 136-140cm, she weighs 98lbs and is about 5'3. So it's quite hard to work with her weight... I would like her to be at the higher end of the boards weight recommendations.

She has a 145 button feather but the thing is a 2x4 and way too big for her. I can only imagine how hard it is to maneuver.

I am preferably looking for a flat or rocker board, but I'm open to all suggestions. I want the board to be light and fun for her to ride. Maybe something a bit soft/flexy so it makes her maneuvering all the easier.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mfoehrkolb; 01-20-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Mfoehrkolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does she seriously have a 154 or was that a typo?

I know you said 136-140, but Niche makes a nice women's board called the Minx. It starts at 142, but it's flat camber, very lightweight and a fun board.
stealthyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthyc View Post
Does she seriously have a 154 or was that a typo?

I know you said 136-140, but Niche makes a nice women's board called the Minx. It starts at 142, but it's flat camber, very lightweight and a fun board.
--- totally my dyslexia! She has a 145****

Do you happen to know the weight range it is for the board? I can't emphasize how tiny she is, and she doesn't have much strength behind her either.

I guess I could consider youth boards, and very small men's boards too.

Last edited by Mfoehrkolb; 01-20-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

my wife is 5' maybe 115-120 and she rides 140-142....she is on a Roxy Ollie Pop right now, and started on a Roxy Sugar which is flat base and she learned/excelled really quickly on the Sugar.
threej21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can't say enough good things about the Ollie Pop! But the OP seems a little heavy to me in comparison to the Minx. But she should be right in the wheelhouse for either of those boards weight wise. The Ollie Pop comes in a 141. The OP is a rocker/camber hybrid with magnetraction. And it's a fantastic all around board.

You could definitely look into kids' boards. Some of them have graphics that are not too kiddie..the Gnu B-mini 125 or 135 could be a nice board with rocker and magnetraction. It has wildlife on it so it's not bad from a graphics standpoint.

The Roxy Ally is another rocker board that is pretty flexy, also has mag and comes in a 139.

You would probably have trouble finding a men's board that would be small enough. I'm guessing with her size, her feet are pretty small too so the waist on a kid's board wouldn't be a problem.
stealthyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthyc View Post
I can't say enough good things about the Ollie Pop! But the OP seems a little heavy to me in comparison to the Minx. But she should be right in the wheelhouse for either of those boards weight wise. The Ollie Pop comes in a 141. The OP is a rocker/camber hybrid with magnetraction. And it's a fantastic all around board.

You could definitely look into kids' boards. Some of them have graphics that are not too kiddie..the Gnu B-mini 125 or 135 could be a nice board with rocker and magnetraction. It has wildlife on it so it's not bad from a graphics standpoint.

The Roxy Ally is another rocker board that is pretty flexy, also has mag and comes in a 139.

You would probably have trouble finding a men's board that would be small enough. I'm guessing with her size, her feet are pretty small too so the waist on a kid's board wouldn't be a problem.
--- I said previously about being at the "higher" end of weight requirement. Such as... A board says 75-105lb for 135cm and 85-115lb for 138cm.

I would rather have her on the 135cm simply because she would be able to in theory... Flex it and handle it more efficiently. (the numbers posted above are just for an example are not from any board I am looking at)

I believe she has a women size 6 boot. Another problem is so many girl board have retarded flowers, rainbows, glitter, teddy bears and sunshine on them. She absolutely despises boards like that lol.

So that said, I would really like to stay with in the size limit I have stated in the title. I will check out the ones suggested so far none the less and go from there.

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Something in the 140-142 range will work just fine for her, and you'll find more options. Anything smaller than that and you're talking kid's boards.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Something in the 140-142 range will work just fine for her, and you'll find more options. Anything smaller than that and you're talking kid's boards.
--- She has issues with her 145 now, traditional cambered, and its stiff like woah... Do you think its the length, camber, or the stiffness of the board that makes it difficult on her. I am not an expert by no means in the knowledge department concerning snowboards. Maybe im getting things mixed up... Not the length so much i should be worrying about but the softness and type of camber the board has (flat and or rocker) being more forgivable.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

a soft rocker board is generally a good beginner board as it lets the rider control the board more and easier turn initiation.

"stiff like whoa" and camber are probably more the problem than the length. although 145 board is playing a small role in her troubles as well.

a 140-142 rocker board with some flex should be about perfect for her...IMO
threej21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Never Summer Pandora comes in a 140. It's not flat/rocker (it's a rocker/camber hybrid) but it's very flexible and easy to control.

I'm 5'6" and 112lbs and picked up the Pandora halfway through last season and was completely thrilled with it. I debated between the 143 and 146 but wound up going with the 146 (we ride a fair bit of powder) and have absolutely no issues controlling it. I'm a very conservative rider and don't put on muscle easily at all (just don't have the body type for it) so I wanted something very easy to control and the Pandora has been perfect.

The other things I like about it are that it holds an edge much better on ice than my previous board (151 Ride Rapture) and is much smoother on chop.

One thing to consider is that if she's used to a camber board she may not like the way a rocker board handles through turns and on ice. My Rapture was rocker and I felt like turn initiation and hold on ice were both bad on it. Friends who rode it (without me telling them about those issues) confirmed they felt the same way. The Pandora handles much more like a cambered board in those respects while still being more forgiving than a full cambered board.
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote