Help with snowboard length!!?? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Snowgo: Beginners guide to choosing a snowboard

Google is great too...
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Here's a good place too. Snowboard Buying Guide & Shop - How & Where to buy a Snowboard @ ABC-of-Snowboarding

Personally, I won't buy a board without demo'ing it first. Nothing like having the board under your feet to test out length, flex, and twist of the board.
daysailer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Height and weight are a good place to start.

Other factors can come into play.

-Women tend to need a flexier board
-History- if you have bum knees, a stiff board can be painful. I sold my NS Premier cause my bum front knee just couldn't handle it anymore.
-as others have pointed out - what kinda riding are you going to do. I have mainly freeride/all-mountain boards. They are great for racing, deep powder, trees, steeps, kickers, bumps - they are not exactly wonderful for freestyle.
If you have the option, read up on some boards, pick a couple that seem to fit your criteria, go to demo day, choose your board.
daysailer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysailer1 View Post
If you have the option, read up on some boards, pick a couple that seem to fit your criteria, go to demo day, choose your board.
Unfortunately none of the board shops do demos in Aus as far as I know.

I read the following on the sierra snowboarding website and that is exactly the type of snowboard I want. It seems some places take a very different view of what a freestyle board is to this:

Quote:
Freestyle snowboarders ride the entire resort, but look at the mountain as a gigantic skateboard park and do tricks off any obstacle. The boards in this group are constructed with tricks in mind, but still can lay down a fast turn. I ride this class of boards because I love riding fast and hard, but I want to spin off any bump or jump in my way. We have soft flexing freestyle boards for new riders, looking to learn tricks and stiffer flexing machines for guys that take their tricks to the next level. Freestyle boards are specialized for this type of riding� the shapes of these boards are more centered, which makes them great for riding switch, but can sometimes sink in deep powder. If you have a freestyle board and love to ride deep powder, I suggest you buy a secondary powder or freeride board.
So from that I want to ride the entire resort basically, be able to try doing tricks anywhere, would like to ride powder but don't really ride deep powder. This is what I thought all mountain was but different people seem to associate different things with each one.

Keeping that in mind would something like a Capita Stairmaster 148cm be alright or is that too park based for powdered runs as well? If so would anyone like to suggest another board?

Last edited by Jakespikey; 06-03-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Jakespikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

MPD are you sure about 150 to 152, that seems to long. remember they are lighter than you are.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
kms882

My Dad ended up getting me a Burton Feather 140, I'm a tiny bit worried its a bit short, but i dont have a lot of weight behind me so it might end up being ok??? Heard these have a lot of flex too
Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Yeah is on the extreme short range, you might be ok. But the board might is going to be unstable at high speeds.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Board length is determined by weight, not height, which plays about a 2% role. Boot size, type of riding, age, and where you ride is important. And don't just say "Canada" because it's a BIG country. (I know because I live there, LOL!)
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

She Lives!!!
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
kms882

I know i mean compared to Aus the snow is different in Canada in general,
I will be in the local fields at Ottawa, Mt Tremblant then Whistler.
I feel better now about the 140, i'm only 48kg so it will be ok