Modern Never Summer Lifespans? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned!

Default Modern Never Summer Lifespans?

So I've seen several comments/accusations that NS boards go "dead" after 60+ days.

I was curious amongst the rabid NS fanboyism on this site if anyone actually rides these fuckers hard for many days in an effort to destroy it? This is what is happening to my Proto. I got it in December last year and closing in on day 100 on it. I've noticed in the last couple weeks that it seems to be flexing alot more - is it dieing or just breaking in? Anyone else have one of their modern decks and ride the fuck out of it?

Due to the horrible conditions of the last 2 seasons, the base of my board is getting destroyed pretty quickly, and I can't really blame NS for that. It would be interesting to compare it to something else on this.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm really looking for some comments and opinions of people who ride these boards and really put the beatdown on them.

1. something happens between day 60 and 100, the board has changed? comments?

2. general durability comments

NS is famous for being bomber - I just don't have the range of experience to compare it to other decks.

Fairly committed to NS, but if I have to drop $600 on a deck every year, I may have to explore other avenues comments?

This is by no means flaming NS, I'm a fanboy like the rest of you. This should be more helpful to Vince and crew than it is to even me.

3. how does all this relate to a 3 year warranty. Which is interesting because you have to imagine that 75% of their board sales are to people who will put less than 30 days on a board in 3 years. How then does this kind of thing relate to those of us who ride 100 days a year? Am I to go harrass NS for a warranty replacement just because I've used my board for what it was intended? Obviously no.

discuss.

Last edited by snowklinger; 01-20-2013 at 02:20 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have had great times on mine. Its lasted probably about somewhere around 125+ days of park and street. It now has some edge damage at the contact points but it sure has held up nicely for riding over concrete and shit. Fuckin loved the durability. The pop may go a little flat after a while yeah, but if you know how to ollie, i dont see it as a major problem
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have around 700 days on my 2001 Premeir and it still rides like new. Beat the fuck up but still rides like new. Can't comment on the newer boards other than to say the base material on my proto is much thinner than my premier. Had a huge core shot on the first day with the proto. I can't say what the damage would have been if it was my premier but I've nailed so many rocks with that board and everytime I had a hard time finding the damage on the base. I sense that is not the case with the proto.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

The proto seems to have a softer base than my SL. I have a 3 year old SL with over 100 days on it that just got its first good gash about 2 weeks ago despite riding it regularly in places with less than ideal coverage. Still rides pretty well just like new.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

I'm on my third season with my Heritage, probably 80-90 days total by now on the board. It's not a plank, but it's not the most noodley of boards. I haven't really noticed it getting any noodlier either, and I've been trying this year!

As to general toughness, the Heritage seems to have a lot tougher base than either of my two previous boards.

INNUENDO:
Italian enema.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Resident Snowman

After 100 days on my proto it still has way more pop than my evo, and not nearly as soft. So I guess it hasn't lost too much. My base is great except some marks from rocks. The evo has general park wear, looks better than most other bases I see.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have around 100 days on my EVO (2012 model) and the pop still seems very good to me. Now I have noticed the pop isn't the same as new anymore but still very compared to my LIBtech and FORUM boards. As for durability my base has held up much better then my FORUM and libtech also.
rscott22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!

Cool thanks for all the responses.

I'll post up some pics of my base later.

I just noticed that the flex just seems to have really changed alot lately, but I would not call it noodelly by any means.

I could imagine that half is board "breaking in" and half me getting used to it.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpen View Post
I have around 700 days on my 2001 Premeir and it still rides like new. Beat the fuck up but still rides like new. Can't comment on the newer boards other than to say the base material on my proto is much thinner than my premier. Had a huge core shot on the first day with the proto. I can't say what the damage would have been if it was my premier but I've nailed so many rocks with that board and everytime I had a hard time finding the damage on the base. I sense that is not the case with the proto.
I have much less days on my 2010 Premier. However, I just spent a week in Jackson Hole which still had some thin cover in areas and I nailed a bunch of rocks and boulders nearly every day. It still has nothing but surface scratches. Only 1 bigger gouge near the edge that I may have to keep an eye on.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote