Board suggestion without breaking the bank. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board suggestion without breaking the bank.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new board and I need some suggestions.

I'm a 220lb rider with a size 11-11.5 boot. So I've been looking at 159w boards.

I've been recommended a ton of boards, but the kicker is I'm trying to stay under $300 since I'm probably going to need new bindings and possibly new boots soon.

I do a little park, smaller rails and boxes and smaller jumps, but mostly ride trails with my dad and friend who ski. I'm an east coast rider and usually hit places like Camelback, Mountain Creek, and Hunter. I get a lot of ice and hard packed snow that is effortless for them but a lot of work for me on my current board (which is a 153, I've had it since 2005).

My main problem is that I'm coming off a 2-3 year break from boarding after having a hip injury and surgery. I've gone a few times this year on my 153 and it was like riding a bike, was even able to hit the park with no problems, but as I mentioned it felt like a TON more work than normal. Fighting on trails to keep the board flat and to turn. I'm thinking I just need a longer and wider board with a different shape, but I'm not really sure what to get without spending too much.

Also a quick question, how tight do you guys zip up your boots and bindings? I'm not sure if my boots are too small, but I've been having some problems with my current ones, specifically in my toes. If I tighten them, they dig into the top part of my foot where the ankle meets, and it becomes uncomfortable and it feels like my feet want to cramp no matter how much I stretch. If I loosen them, all my weight ends up on my toes and it just plain hurts after a while. My shoe size is dependent on brand, wearing anything from 11's-12's, so I might go up to an 11.5 boot if you think it'll help since I'm wearing 11's now.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Boyiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not a board suggestion sorry, but you might wanna try scoring something cheap when the end of season sales hit. I've got a Ride Machete 157W (I'm 5'10, 180lbs and size 12 feet) and I love it as an all around board, but it's not the cheapest.

On the boot front, I'd strongly suggest trying the Burton Rulers when you get to boot shopping. The separate lacing for the upper and lower zones is excellent (I have feet that are size 12 and wide and they are still super comfortable) and really easy to adjust.

Having said that, if you're finding turns etc to be hard work, that might be contributing to the foot pain/discomfort, so once you sort out a board with more of an edge, it might be a lot less of an issue.
m0rph3us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

My boots are burtons now and I'll admit I got them when I was younger so the sizing may be off, but the inner layer really bothers me if I tighten it up.
Boyiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Re: Board suggestion without breaking the bank.

I can highly recommend the Camp Seven Valdez. I've been riding one a bunch this season, and while it's a bit on the small side for me, (a 156 for my 6'3", 200lb frame) it is a lot of fun. I've taken it everywhere on the mountain, from steeps, to park, to groomers, and trees. The only problem I really have with it is holding an edge on steep, icy hardpack, but most boards will struggle with that. And they'll struggle even worse if they're undersized for you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using VerticalSports.Com App
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Out of curiosity, have you taken the Radon out yet? That beast holds an edge!
I haven't yet, but mostly just cause I wanna get a stiffer binding than my Flites for it. I almost took her out to rock the groomers before my class the other day, but i thought twice when I remembered that I haven't spent one class riding in my regular stance this season. I'm sure that switch is workable on that beast, but I can't imagine it to be fun! Lol! That all being said, the new bindings are getting closer by the day. Yay for tax season! Also, it's amazing what spending 2 and a half hours a week riding switch really does for that skill.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Evo outlet - wide

Cheap Snowboards, Snowboard Deals & Snowboard Sale | evo outlet
Schuber2_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

For under $300 you can buy lots of top end boards for cheap.Don't buy anything that retails for under $300 and don't buy anything unless it 50% off retail.

Especially when it is wide and long sizes.

You just have to do your research.

Boards I have bought for friends at 300$ and under (current yr or prev yr when bought):

3 new Burton fish 156 for $275,$290,$300 (one of these I outbid spencer on)
3 GNU DK Monster 155 for $230, $250, $275
1 GNU Billy Goat 159 $265
1 k2 WWW 154 $180
1 Never Summer EVO $250
1 Rome Notch 155 $265 ( should have got this lower)

Also try Buy/Sell Used Outdoor Camping and Hiking Equipment at GearTrade.com - #1 in Outdoor Gear Exchange and look for seller "Backcountry" for good deals
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

There's a new 157 blacklist for $330 shipped on ebay I've been eyeing, might still be on there.
tdn is offline   Reply With Quote