question about snowboard tech - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
nichan7

Default question about snowboard tech

I'm trying to find out what "carbon graphite sole" means? what are it's limitations? and what type of riding style is it used for? freestyle? or freeride?

can anybody help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where did you hear this?
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
nichan7

well i was looking at a japanese snowboard company and checking out the specs on their snowboard and came across this.

here's the link to the site
011artistic ゼロワンワン フラットキング 通信販売
Old 06-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wonder why they didn't just call it graphite sole, graphite is a polymorph of carbon anyway. Graphite, has the same chemistry as diamonds, but different structure. That is why it's soft, unless bound into fibers. Then the graphite becomes very strong and durable. So if thats what they did for this board, and it probably is, then it should be at the very least able to withstand a typical day of riding.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeNhugz View Post
I wonder why they didn't just call it graphite sole, graphite is a polymorph of carbon anyway. Graphite, has the same chemistry as diamonds, but different structure. That is why it's soft, unless bound into fibers. Then the graphite becomes very strong and durable. So if thats what they did for this board, and it probably is, then it should be at the very least able to withstand a typical day of riding.
whoa. howd you know all this? thats pretty impressive
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
nichan7

Thanks for the reply CoffeeNhugz.

i'm going back to high school chemistry but, isn't carbon and graphite brittle? if so, does this mean it can't be used as freestyle board(rails and boxes)? and just mostly freeride?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Quote:
If this stands true, I have to say that you really know your stuff .
Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichan7 View Post
Thanks for the reply CoffeeNhugz.

i'm going back to high school chemistry but, isn't carbon and graphite brittle? if so, does this mean it can't be used as freestyle board(rails and boxes)? and just mostly freeride?
So basically this board is designed for racing not freestyle. The graphite has an amazing ability to hold wax which should increase your speed. Here is where I'm not to sure, how heavy is the board? The weight will effect the board's potential in the park and pretty much everything other than groomers.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
So basically this board is designed for racing not freestyle. The graphite has an amazing ability to hold wax which should increase your speed. Here is where I'm not to sure, how heavy is the board? The weight will effect the board's potential in the park and pretty much everything other than groomers.
Actually graphite infused bases reduce the static electricity in a board when its gliding across the snow. It creates faster speeds which is what you want when riding pipe or jumps, not jibbing. The specs on that board actually show its pretty much a mid level park board with a non aggressive sidecut radius.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lol the gist of it all is that the flatkig is a nice board according to its specs. Not my style, but still good.

Sorry to all who hate complaints... WHY DID THEY NOT LET ME TAKE CHEMISTRY!? SO WHAT IF I'm in algebra B as sophmore ( how embarrassing) I'm not math stupid I was just lazy and never did any homework!!!! AHHH Stupid high school system! ok i'm done, have a good day everyone.