BOA or Speed-zone-lacing boots - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default BOA or Speed-zone-lacing boots

After buying a new board and binding, I am now considering buying boots. It usually take me a long time to tie up my old boots. Some website are offering huge discount on some boots, so it's kind of tempting...

I am wondering now which system is the best and fastest in tightening boots? BOA or the Burton's Speed-lacing? or others?

Thanks
campfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i can not speak for the burton speed laces as i have never used them. they certainly seem to be a gimmick, which is not to say they do not work, but does suggest they were created in a hurry to compete against other 'non-conventional' lacing systems.

boa... an independent company who do wire fixing solutions to a number of manufacturers (and not just snowboard boot makers) are brilliant. this i can say from experience.

it is horses for courses and a product is only as good as how you use it. for me, preferring a loose lower but type upper boot zone, the double boa on the vans cirro is perfect. being able to 'pop' them loose on the lift line and ratchets them tight prior to the dismount is lovely too.

but maybe you neither care for such convenience or the burton version can do that too?

tis for you to decide. just go to a store and try on all the boots you can until you feel bored! please yourself!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

I have the Burton one, it's king of a pain in the ass, but once you get used to it, it works fine.

The best fast lacing system I have dealt with is the one in salomon boots, but then again I haven't dealt with the boa system yet.

the one thing I can say about the burton one, is that once you lace it that thing is not coming loose and it's a very nice fit.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I prefer the Salomon lacing system the best. I have yet to have any issues with the laces stretching, getting cut etc etc. I found that the Boa system created pressure points like stores blasting Christmas tunes to death and the plastic parts on Burton boots to just keep breaking. But really, when you buy boots, go by what feels best to you.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have the BOA Focus system. No pressure point issues. Since I do a lot of hiking I really like the fact that I can release the upper zone for hiking and quickly tighten it when I am ready to drop in. Much easier than the speed lacing systems of either Salomon or Burton in that regard. Boarder's advice is spot on though.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post
i can not speak for the burton speed laces as i have never used them. they certainly seem to be a gimmick, which is not to say they do not work, but does suggest they were created in a hurry to compete against other 'non-conventional' lacing systems.

boa... an independent company who do wire fixing solutions to a number of manufacturers (and not just snowboard boot makers) are brilliant. this i can say from experience.

it is horses for courses and a product is only as good as how you use it. for me, preferring a loose lower but type upper boot zone, the double boa on the vans cirro is perfect. being able to 'pop' them loose on the lift line and ratchets them tight prior to the dismount is lovely too.

but maybe you neither care for such convenience or the burton version can do that too?

tis for you to decide. just go to a store and try on all the boots you can until you feel bored! please yourself!
I wonder if there are any stores that still have boots for me to try on now, as it's off-season and when you are living in Ottawa, here are not much choices of stores.

I didn't try any boots last season. When I brought my old and first pair of boots, I didn't have much idea then, just pick the one on clearance. it was dirt cheap,but decent and stiff, and fitted my feet OK, just I had to retie my laces very often on cold winter days. So now I have to ask you guys.....I have tried neither the BOA or Burton version...
campfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm all about the classic laces. There's nothing cool about blowing your fancy lacing system. I know alot of people who broke their speed zone or boa's, but hardly any who broke classic lacing.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
siberianmist

ive had 2 different sets of boa boots and they both were terribly uncomfortable. the only good thing is that you dont have to take your gloves off on below zero days to tighten them, other than that i hated them. i just got a pair of forum slr kickers for next year and they seem to be more comfortable then the boa's but i havent been on the slopes with them yet
Old 06-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default burton speed lacing works fine

I own the Burton Sable boots with the speed lacing thingy. The boots are COMFORTABLE. The lacing system works very well. I had my friend count how it took me to lace both boots up, 9 seconds. I dont know how other Burton boots are, but I'm sure they all have the ability to tighten the lower and upper zone to different settings. I've never tried the BOA system so I won't pass any judgement there.

Snowboarders SoCal
CoffeeNhugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
siberianmist

youre lookin kinda hot there coffee