Total newb - need advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Total newb - need advice

Hey everybody, I'm Kate, never been snowboarding before so need opinions on my gear and the board before I go next week. I have Salomon Linea boots (size 6) which fit awesome, and bought these Morrow goggles: http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/pho.../-/size-os.jpg

Potential problem: My cousin let me borrow her older K2 149cm board with Burton bindings, it appears to be a flat board. However, I looked at a chart and it says I should have a smaller one. I'm almost 5"2 and 95 pounds at 19 (have Crohns disease) so will not be gaining weight.

Is the K2 board going to be a major problem cause it's 149 or will it be ok? I have experience skateboarding, and although a little nervous, feel pretty confident about starting out on snow! Want to start out on a good note, if it's going to be hard to control or something, then I'll suck it up and use the money to buy a smaller board. If I have to.

k8xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You will be good. Make sure that you check a couple of things the day(S) BEFORE.
Set your boots in the bindings and tune the bindings on the boots (plenty of videos on YT about that). Make sure that the boot is well wrapped by the straps.

See if the angles the board is set up with work for you, if not change them.

try the bindings one last time with your boots on. It will save you a lot of stress and time on the slopes.

Have fun!
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

its gunna be pretty big and alot to move for you. but possible. For reference, im 5'9 150lb (a guy) and ride a 154.

a shorter board, maybe in the 130 range, would be easier to earn on. You sound like a very petite woman, the shorter the board, the more levage you have over it.

Good luck!
liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll try the bindings on tonight, thanks! : )

If my boyfriend gives me money for my own board, what should I be looking for as a beginner? And 139/140? Dude at Snow Connection in Seattle told me max 143 in his opinion. Also, what style is best for beginner? I didn't know there was more than one style until I saw the sticky on this section.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

those bindings look to be way too close to each other...a tad big but my daughter was riding 148 stiffy when she was your size.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8xp View Post
I'll try the bindings on tonight, thanks! : )

If my boyfriend gives me money for my own board, what should I be looking for as a beginner? And 139/140? Dude at Snow Connection in Seattle told me max 143 in his opinion. Also, what style is best for beginner? I didn't know there was more than one style until I saw the sticky on this section.
Try to stay in 137-141 range. Basically, it doesn't matter all that much if you start learning on a cambered or a hybrid/rocker board. All of them have their advantages and drawbacks and I've seen many beginners who started and progressed successfully with either. Generally, a cambered board is more stable while a rocker/hybrid is easier to initiate a turn with and not so prone to catching edge. I know some people who started off with a straight rocker but in my opinion it's not the best profile to use for a beginner, I would stick with a cambered or hybrid board. But in the end I believe that size and flex are more important than profile. You should be able to turn your board and for that you need to feel it and flex it. Wouldn't matter if you ride a rocker or a camber if you're unable to do it.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
those bindings look to be way too close to each other...a tad big but my daughter was riding 148 stiffy when she was your size.
Can they be moved? If not should I take a picture when I try it on with my boots

@Noreaster: Alrighty will start looking around for something that might work if I can get a new one.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

if it is your first time going...just take your boots and rent a proper sized board....but more importantly get a lesson. At baker you can get a board/bindings/lesson and a chair 2 pass for $50...a beginner package.

Really its not the gear....its the rider...or at least the rider's attitude and skill. You got the most important piece of equipment....boots. Get a helmet and some lessons...SPEND THE $ ON LESSONS...not gear since u have never gone. Ur in the pnw....there are tons of folks with extra gear...just ask around or CL.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-22-2013 at 09:39 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am 5'1", 110 lbs and ride a 143 Ride Rapture. This is a full rocker..My last board was a 139cm Rossignol camber board. I cant tell the difference of the length since it is so slight but I can turn alot better.
Most wouldn't agree with going to a full rocker..A hybrid board would prob be best.
Check out Eriksbikeshop.com for some killer deals..I picked up the Ride board for $74.95 there on clearance 2012 model. For that price, I could prob sell it for more than i bought it for.
Good luck!
steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
if it is your first time going...just take your boots and rent a proper sized board....but more importantly get a lesson. At baker you can get a board/bindings/lesson and a chair 2 pass for $50...a beginner package.

Really its not the gear....its the rider...or at least the rider's attitude and skill. You got the most important piece of equipment....boots. Get a helmet and some lessons...SPEND THE $ ON LESSONS...not gear since u have never gone. Ur in the pnw....there are tons of folks with extra gear...just ask around or CL.
Damn that's cheap! Only problem is Baker is twice the distance from me than Snoqualmie. I don't know if my man would be up for driving that far. But I just checked Snoqualmie and they have the same package for $80. Thanks a ton! Did not see that they had a discounted package for it, def will be doing that now.