Complete newbie help me out :) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
kharn101

Default Complete newbie help me out :)

Hey guys,
I am a newbie to snowboarding, but would love to get started and meet some people to snowboard with. Anyway, i decided to go head first into this hobby...what is a decent board to start with also boots ect. I have stopped growing so something that will last for a while . Thanks for your info...i have had experience with skiing but none with snowboards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

Go out and rent before investing in snowboarding! It's a great sport, but it's not the sport for everyone!

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
NzGnu

haha welcome to the dark side, snowboarding is the better choice.

need to know your weight, height, boot size (if you know it) and what sort of riding you think will interest you...park or freeride.

boots are definatly what ya should get first though and what ya should be willing to spend money on. though the most expensive isnt always best...its all about whats comfortable when it comes to boots.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
kharn101

i would like to start first off with parks then free riding once i feel comforable. Thanks for the concerned about telling me try it first . I did that about a year ago and loved it. Lets see 210, 6'0..boot size how do i find that?? I kind of want to get a board first...then go to local shops and try boots on so i can see what i am...thanks all for the quick responses.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
First off, stay OUT of the parks untill you get free riding down. This is going to be your fundamental base for building upon. You want to be a good, stable rider who can link turns, ride switch, carve and also has learned to ride dynamically in any all conditions before you start worrying about hitting the terrain parks.

i agree whole heartedly
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
moremountain

I would stay away from hire boards as you will never get used to your setup.
I bought a second hand board and bindings from ebay when I first started. Cost me next to nothing, and to be honest whilst you are still picking up the basics you will not really be able to feel the differences in different boards. Once you have got your basic riding mastered then its time to splash a bit of cash on a newer set up. Hopefully by this time you will have a better idea of what sort of riding you prefer and what type of board you are looking for.

Re boots, buy some new ones ASAP, but do a bit of research on type and fit. I have really wide feet and it took me 3 purchases before I found the boots for me - My first 2 purchases were Vans and Northwave and nobody told me that they were a little skinny for a wide footed person - hence the foot pains. Since then I have always had 32's and most recently Burton. Try loads on and take your time in a good store with good boot fitting knowledge.

End of season sales are always pretty good to buy new kit when you are starting out.

Re park or free ride. Learn to ride first WITH LESSONS before you go near the park or else you will probably do yourself a mischief!!

Have fun
Jon
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
kharn101

awsome i am going to try to get a all mountain board from here....as for the boots you guys said that is where the cash should go i will do some research with that and try to get some good ones.....I will ask more newbie questions ...oh yea a decent pair of googles also what do you guys recommend?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
moremountain

Oakley A Frames
Mens Oakley Snow Goggles - Oakley goggles for men available at the online Oakley store

Mine are still going strong bought them in Whistler 2004. Pricey but they have never let me down. I have amber and mirrored rose lenses and they seem to do me in all conditions.

Jon
Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Smith, Dragon, Oakley, Spy, Anon, and many others make quality goggles. Watch Sac and Whiskey Militia. They frequently have goggles for cheap. Since it's summer I am sure goggles are not high on the rotation but come fall I am sure they will be popping frequently. I've picked up a pair of Dragon DX's for under $30 and Smith Phenom Turbo Fans with the Sensor lens (one of the best lenses out there btw) for under $50. So keep your eyes open.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
abrocks22

I am on the same page as you...