Buying advice for complete Setup, Board, Binding, and Boots - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rph3us View Post
Seriously, read the thread before you start calling me out. The OP said size 12 or 13 boots. I'm size 12, so yeah I think I am pretty qualified to suggest a wide board is what he wants given that's exactly what I ride.

The guy is welcome to take my advice or leave it, but he's asking for advice and since I'm pretty similar in terms of a lot of the specs I thought I might be able to help. Let's not derail this thread into a pretty pointless debate.
Yesterday, 07:36 PM #4 (permalink)
m0rph3us

+1 for the 2012 Machete. First board I bought (I'm intermediate/advanced) and it has been great both on hardpack/icy stuff at home (New Zealand) and medium pack and powder in BC. Learning some freestyle stuff now and it's excellent for that too.

The best thing about it - every time I screw up, I can point to something I did wrong. Never feels like the board is the problem! It's been able to handle pretty much everything I've thrown at it so far.

With a size 10 boot you may want to consider the 154W. I'm size 12 and ride the 157W.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...tml#post618289

And I am seriously sorry for your alzheimer man

you could help more if you can refrain urself from posting
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weipim View Post
And I am seriously sorry for your alzheimer man

you could help more if you can refrain urself from posting
Yeah I was wrong on that thread, but I was guessing because I'm not size 10 ("you may want to try..."). Someone with more knowledge corrected me, fair enough. Whereas on this thread, the OP is size 12 or 13 i.e. the same size as me. So yeah I figure that makes me pretty well qualified to offer some advice given I spent months researching before buying my setup.

What size feet are yours by the way?

You could help more if you focused on the actual thread rather than bringing up irrelevant stuff from other threads.
m0rph3us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

all i am trying to say is that dropping "experts" to validate your disagreement with my opinion is not cool at all. of corse camber and rocker and other snow masturbation form matters because they excels in different area. Although I do enjoy the actual boards more than just the shape of it, I pick my equipment very carefully from my quiver before the day of riding.

as coming back to OP, knowing the shape of the board and its attributes is part of basic snowboarding knowledge and you can't just override that with a simple comment of "not giving shit about hj,bj, p*ssy, an*l etc, a cumshot is a cumshot"

Op will eventually be on the top of the SB learning curve, but what kind of detour he will take is still a question.

I wear size 10/10.5 boots, what's up?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

It has nothing to do with any of them being experts, and more to do with the fact I spoke to a lot of people about this stuff and they all said 'find something you enjoy riding rather than worrying too much about a specific camber'. Some knew their shit, some probably didn't, but no-one I spoke to said anything to suggest that I'd necessarily develop better technique riding camber.

I originally thought that I should get a camber board for that exact reason you said. I instead bought a Ride Machete (rocker), because it seemed to suit my style of riding and a lot of people had good things to say about it. I personally think I am learning stuff a lot quicker on this board and enjoying my riding a lot more than when I was on rental boards, all of which were camber (at least the ones I rode). (that could equally be because most rental boards are pretty shitty though)

It makes sense really. If you have a board you enjoy riding, you can spend a lot more time thinking about developing your skills, because you don't have to worry about getting shitty and frustrated because the board didn't handle like you wanted/expected it to in a particular situation.

With all the hybrid boards around nowadays I think it makes a lot more sense to think about whether the board will suit your style of riding rather than getting too hung up on the exact camber of the board.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rph3us View Post
It has nothing to do with any of them being experts, and more to do with the fact I spoke to a lot of people about this stuff and they all said 'find something you enjoy riding rather than worrying too much about a specific camber'. Some knew their shit, some probably didn't, but no-one I spoke to said anything to suggest that I'd necessarily develop better technique riding camber.

I originally thought that I should get a camber board for that exact reason you said. I instead bought a Ride Machete (rocker), because it seemed to suit my style of riding and a lot of people had good things to say about it. I personally think I am learning stuff a lot quicker on this board and enjoying my riding a lot more than when I was on rental boards, all of which were camber (at least the ones I rode). (that could equally be because most rental boards are pretty shitty though)

It makes sense really. If you have a board you enjoy riding, you can spend a lot more time thinking about developing your skills, because you don't have to worry about getting shitty and frustrated because the board didn't handle like you wanted/expected it to in a particular situation.

With all the hybrid boards around nowadays I think it makes a lot more sense to think about whether the board will suit your style of riding rather than getting too hung up on the exact camber of the board.
I wouldn't call your machete a typical rocker, maybe a flat rocker/flat camber at most and learning about snowboarding is not finding the joy ride that swallow one's newbie skill mistake and be as tolerate as possible, in fact it is about consistently correcting your mistake and be able to identify them. Therefore in this way you will learn more on a camber board than a rocker board.

Now you are on your sweepstake of the curve, but wait until you hit your first plateau and wonder why you can't progress as fast as you wanted, and maybe step back and take a look at your technique. If you think you really mastered all basic stuffs, try to rent a burton custom X and try it out on the entire mountain and then let me know if my suggestions make sense or not.

btw I started on a shitty burton v-rocker board and jump onto a flat camber board. I really learn the hard way about using precise technique for different terrain and if I can start all over again, i'd definitely stick to camber boards.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I wouldn't call your machete a typical rocker, maybe a flat rocker/flat camber at most and learning about snowboarding is not finding the joy ride that swallow one's newbie skill mistake and be as tolerate as possible, in fact it is about consistently correcting your mistake and be able to identify them. Therefore in this way you will learn more on a camber board than a rocker board.
Totally agree that it's bad for skill to have a board that's too forgiving. Equally it is not very fun if you are spending your entire day catching edges and falling over because the board is too unforgiving. The ideal is somewhere in between.

Quote:
Now you are on your sweepstake of the curve, but wait until you hit your first plateau and wonder why you can't progress as fast as you wanted, and maybe step back and take a look at your technique. If you think you really mastered all basic stuffs, try to rent a burton custom X and try it out on the entire mountain and then let me know if my suggestions make sense or not.
I'm not pretending to have "mastered" anything yet and I am super-focused on improving my skills. I'm 31 and only started riding two years ago, so believe me I am pretty focused on progressing as quickly as possible because I'm making up for lost time. One thing I love about the Machete is that when I screw up, I can always point to something in my technique that was at fault and try to correct it. I never feel like it was the board's fault. So it's ideal for developing my skills. And it's fun to ride.

If I get to a point where I plateau, I'd rather invest in a decent private lesson to try and iron out my technique rather than go rent a different camber board just for the hell of it, which might not necessarily identify the cause of the problem at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

ok so from what I read, I am leaning towards to a camber board, I don't care how unforgiven it is, I am not in a rush to master riding. i want to get it right. i will go and look around my local rei shop this weekend for a boot and maybe get the binding there too then will order a camber board online leaning towards to a never summer 160cm cobra x or legacy

this is weird tho i just don't feel comfy ordering a board online without testing it with the binding and boots i am gonna, how did you guys did it?
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
ok so from what I read, I am leaning towards to a camber board, I don't care how unforgiven it is, I am not in a rush to master riding. i want to get it right. i will go and look around my local rei shop this weekend for a boot and maybe get the binding there too then will order a camber board online leaning towards to a never summer 160cm cobra x or legacy

this is weird tho i just don't feel comfy ordering a board online without testing it with the binding and boots i am gonna, how did you guys did it?
wrong, Never Summers are all hybrid camber and rocker.

get a ride DH for instance
Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

hmm how about burton Honcho ?

ride DH 2013 advertised as a free style on rei.com, also it doens't come in 160cm flavor?
(Ride DH Snowboard - 2012/2013 at REI.com)

i am also considering the ride machete 2012/2013 161cm wide, heard so many good things about although i don't get it rei lists it as a freestyle board :confused

Last edited by vknyvz; 01-23-2013 at 10:32 PM.
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
hmm how about burton Honcho ?

ride DH 2013 advertised as a free style on rei.com, also it doens't come in 160cm flavor?
(Ride DH Snowboard - 2012/2013 at REI.com)

i am also considering the ride machete 2012/2013 161cm wide, heard so many good things about although i don't get it rei lists it as a freestyle board :confused
DH Snowboard | Park & Pipe | Ride Snowboards 2012-2013