Buying advice for complete Setup, Board, Binding, and Boots - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #41 (permalink)

Hey there, I am also a Northeast weekend rider... going to hunter, windham, stratton. etc... if you are looking into buying new board consider going for CAMBER type of board, instead of hybrid. Others might have different opinion, but if you are trying to enjoy the trails carving at high speed doing jumps here and there, then go with camber. I've tried the rocker, hybrid or the flying V. and it doesn't hold the edges on the icy spots as well as the camber do. Good luck!~

ps: never summer cobra has rocker between your binding. I would prefer camber between my binding and rocker on the tip and tails... I've tried the salmon Man's board and it work great!

Last edited by jbang72; 01-28-2013 at 06:25 PM.
jbang72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
so i decided to order a never summer cobra x 161 (162)W this week with burton cartel bindings, still haven't made my mind on boots...

what do you guys think, it's an all terrain, rocker & camber board, this supposed to be a tech. developed by never summer and it supposed hold on the hardpack for us east coasters pretty good. level 5 responsiveness
Well, the good news is you have a reputable brand and a board that a lot of people on this forum love. At the very least, if you ride it and find out it's not what you were looking for you can sell it without a huge loss. I figure you'll probably love it once you get used to it.

As for the boots, take advantage of the return policies of REI or Backcountry to find the right pair if you can't get a good look at things locally. What I mean by that is order (or pickup in store) a pair you think will work, give them a ride, and return/exchange them for something else until you find something comfortable that keeps your heel locked in. Boots are going to always be subjective and you'll have to decide if you want something noodley soft, medium, or stiff. The best advice has been that you just need to try a bunch.

Last edited by Treegreen; 01-28-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbang72 View Post
Hey there, I am also a Northeast weekend rider... going to hunter, windham, stratton. etc... if you are looking into buying new board consider going for CAMBER type of board, instead of hybrid. Others might have different opinion, but if you are trying to enjoy the trails carving at high speed doing jumps here and there, then go with camber. I've tried the rocker, hybrid or the flying V. and it doesn't hold the edges on the icy spots as well as the camber do. Good luck!~

ps: never summer cobra has rocker between your binding. I would prefer camber between my binding and rocker on the tip and tails... I've tried the salmon Man's board and it work great!
Same here man, I have been going twice a week to hunter sometimes wind ham but I gotta say thinking about buying the creek pass for 400 bucks instead of paying around 90 bucks a day to hunter or windham, although I know creeks slopes aren't that good

I watched this video ice breakers online somewhere, they tested many boards and they say as long as the edges are sharpened (whatever that means lol) board is going to hold on ice, doesn't matter what the profile is but who knows I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegreen View Post
Well, the good news is you have a reputable brand and a board that a lot of people on this forum love. At the very least, if you ride it and find out it's not what you were looking for you can sell it without a huge loss. I figure you'll probably love it once you get used to it.

As for the boots, take advantage of the return policies of REI or Backcountry to find the right pair if you can't get a good look at things locally. What I mean by that is order (or pickup in store) a pair you think will work, give them a ride, and return/exchange them for something else until you find something comfortable that keeps your heel locked in. Boots are going to always be subjective and you'll have to decide if you want something noodley soft, medium, or stiff. The best advice has been that you just need to try a bunch.
Will go to Rei and paragon sports in the city try many boots then will see if the price is same as online if so I will just get it there its just hard to not buy after someone helping you for half an hour Looking like a cheap ass lol

Alsoordering from evo saves you tax and god that's like 45 bucks and free overnight shipping
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:

Alsoordering from evo saves you tax and god that's like 45 bucks and free overnight shipping
EVO is great. Their customer service was really excellent after a binding I had shipped to me had a broken forward lean adjuster. Their outlet also has some screaming good deals on some very good snowboards.

If you can afford to buy local you totally should. I find that boot fitting at a good local snowboard shop is worth the extra dough. Not everyone has access to that though so Backcountry and REI are pretty good alternatives.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Same here man, I have been going twice a week to hunter sometimes wind ham but I gotta say thinking about buying the creek pass for 400 bucks instead of paying around 90 bucks a day to hunter or windham, although I know creeks slopes aren't that good

I watched this video ice breakers online somewhere, they tested many boards and they say as long as the edges are sharpened (whatever that means lol) board is going to hold on ice, doesn't matter what the profile is but who knows I guess

Will go to Rei and paragon sports in the city try many boots then will see if the price is same as online if so I will just get it there its just hard to not buy after someone helping you for half an hour Looking like a cheap ass lol

Post up how you like it since we're in the same boat! I like the NS Legacy simply due to the looks of it, but nobody around me sells NS so I don't know if I can take advantage of the huge retail sales in the summer that my local shops keep telling me about.
t1snwbrdr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #46 (permalink)

nah don't buy it locally, then you'd pay taxes, if you are not in the seattle area, just go to evo and get it from there (without tax)

i went to paragon sports here in the city and yes they had 1 161cm cobra x i was about to buy then stopped myself, came back to office, checked evo.com and hey same price and no tax, otherwise board was gonna cost me 609 dollars instead just paid 559

so guys I end up buying (from evo.com)

Flow Trilogy Snowboard Bindings 2012 XL
and
Never Summer Cobra X 161cm
and
Oakley Elevate Goggles (god I needed to replace my old shitty ones so bad)

was gonna get the union conctact XL for 179 but read so many good things about this flow trilogy and considered saving 90 bucks was like what the heck, they are hetre on friday can't wait to try them on, although still need to go to rei and pick up a boot
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks man

yes thinking about some more advanced classes, what is annoying me is I do blue (some single blacks) without any stupid mistakes but sometimes i fall getting off from chair-lift lol embarrassing.

so all of you saying that boots are really important, any recommended brand model, also would you buy all at once or boot first then binding and board together

how do you tell the stifness of a binding? do boots have these features like soft, stiff too?

can you guys recon some boot, binding brands models and more board???
go to check blade NYC, they have all boots boards bindings 50% off. I almost got a new nike boots last weekend.

I also recommend burton imperial, very support boots
ttccnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttccnn View Post
go to check blade NYC, they have all boots boards bindings 50% off. I almost got a new nike boots last weekend.

I also recommend burton imperial, very support boots
hmm Blades Downtown ok let me check thanks man