Buying advice for complete Setup, Board, Binding, and Boots - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying advice for complete Setup, Board, Binding, and Boots

I have been boarding on and off for the last 3 years, but this year, I have been doing it seriously, so I want my own setup tired of renting.

My level;
I can easily do greens, blues, I can even do single black diamonds(slowly). So I can link my turns, but I am still considering myself an intermediate, I still sometimes fall during getting of from lift-chair.

I am 30, 6'1, weight b/w 190-205lbs (weight changes when I am on and off from gym). Boot size 12 or 13.

I have been thinking about a 160cm board, am I right on that?

Also, considering my level, I heard things about `forgiven` boards? what is it like stiffer or not stiffer boards, wide or narrow? what do you guys think?

for budget doesn't really all that matter, I am thinking on spending up to 800 for all three.

Last edited by vknyvz; 01-23-2013 at 09:38 AM.
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

For your boot size I would recommend a wide board. And about forgiving boards it generally means there softer and less aggressive and responsive than other boards. You usually want a mid flex for all mountain riding, a softer flex for park and jib and a stiffer board for powder and freeride.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Coffee View Post
For your boot size I would recommend a wide board. And about forgiving boards it generally means there softer and less aggressive and responsive than other boards. You usually want a mid flex for all mountain riding, a softer flex for park and jib and a stiffer board for powder and freeride.
you are a bit confused me lol

ok so wide it is, so I shouldn't get aggressive boards, which means it should be wide and soft so according to burton measurements a 5 is mid-flex? and brand recommdendationds and for bindings too?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

What kind of riding do you mostly do, and in what part of the world? If you are mostly riding hardpack/icy groomers on the East coast, that will influence what board and subsequent equipment you get.

First things first, go to a shop if possible and get fitted for some good boots. Don't skimp on the boots, they are the most important part. A medium flex, do-it-all boot would probably be best.

From there, you can pick out a board that works well for the conditions you normally ride in, then select bindings to complement the board and your boots.

You will probably want a wider board since you will wear a bigger boot. A wider board is stiffer than a narrower one for the same length. A wider board can also accommodate a broader range of weights.

I would maybe check out the Neversummer Legacy 159 or 161. Legacy | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories - Powered by CLVR TV
TBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

that or a proto ctx

but anyhow u need to spend most on boots
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
What kind of riding do you mostly do, and in what part of the world? If you are mostly riding hardpack/icy groomers on the East coast, that will influence what board and subsequent equipment you get.

First things first, go to a shop if possible and get fitted for some good boots. Don't skimp on the boots, they are the most important part. A medium flex, do-it-all boot would probably be best.

From there, you can pick out a board that works well for the conditions you normally ride in, then select bindings to complement the board and your boots.

You will probably want a wider board since you will wear a bigger boot. A wider board is stiffer than a narrower one for the same length. A wider board can also accommodate a broader range of weights.

I would maybe check out the Neversummer Legacy 159 or 161. Legacy | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories - Powered by CLVR TV
For now I have been riding on the east coast, hunter, windham sometimes in vermont.

also that website shows that board as a pipe & park, freestyle board, am I wrong?

Ok I am definetly getting a wider board, 159 to 161 range but for the stiffness, considering my level of ability, what do you guys suggest? more flexable?

Since it will be my first board, any difference between all-mountain freeride boards?

that website you shared, shows the `legacy` board as pipe & park freestyle board, would this be good for me? I was under the impression that a freeride (all-mountain board) is what I needed

Last edited by vknyvz; 01-23-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weipim View Post
that or a proto ctx

but anyhow u need to spend most on boots
can you elaborate on this, boots seem to be a lot too but still boards are more?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
can you elaborate on this, boots seem to be a lot too but still boards are more?
u have 800 dollars more less, first go out and find a good pair of boots try 20plus pairs find the one thats most comfy and snug on ur heels

lace type is important, i like double boa and speed lace loose up from time so this sucks

then use the remaining money on a board; being on east coast u may want a lib, gnu, never summer or anything that has wavy edges, those grabs ice better

as far as legacy, its totally fine even if u r worry abt its a fs board. for instance a premier f1 is way too much for beginner as a freeride board.

however i di recommend u a camber board for better fundamental technique learning so u trade off lesrning curve speed for skill profficiency

last thing, get a medium flex bindings that fits ur boot well, bring boots when buying bindings

if u have money left, sign up for advanced lessons
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey man, I'm a similar build to you, 5'11, 79kg (that's 174 lbs in your imperial system), and size 12 boots. Bought my first board around this time last year so maybe I can add a bit of insight.

You definitely want to look for a wide board, although you might get away with a mid-wide board in a large size.

I ended up getting a Ride Machete 157W (based partly on recommendations from this forum), which I have found to be a great all-around board. When I got it, I was just starting to do black runs (slowly). Since then, I've got comfortable on most/all black runs and am learning to do a lot of freestyle stuff. It handles the icy hardpack stuff at home (NZ) well and it handled pow really well at Whistler too. It's a little on the stiff side for presses, but you can't have everything (it's mid-stiff). You would probably be a bigger board size than me based on your height/weight (probably the 161W in the case of the Machete).

Already decided my next board will be a Never Summer Proto CTX 155. It's listed on the NS site as more freestyle oriented but the consensus on the site here seems to be that it's a very good all-around board.

I can't emphasise the importance of the right boots enough. They were the first thing I bought, even when I was still using rental boards. Had a pair of Salomons which were OK but I only got them because they were cheap. Got some Burton Rulers this season and they are a great mid-stiff all-around boot. Comfortable, no breaking-in period, perform well and durable. Another advantage is the imprint reduction... so my size 12 Ruler fits like a size 12, but it has the footprint of a size 11. Which I find makes tweaking binding settings a bit easier (most XL bindings are for size 11 and up) and reduces the risk of toe-drag for bigfoots like us.

Anyway, for bindings you'll be an XL or an L depending on the manufacturer (some don't do XL). Try and get something that matches the stiffness of the board, but there's a lot of good stuff to choose from here so you should be able to pick up something pretty good. I've ridden my Machete with Union SL and Union Atlas bindings. Not overly wild about the durability of the Atlas bindings (mine were starting to show a lot of wear on the ankle strap after only 2 weeks riding). Maybe I just have a tendency to break stuff, I dunno. The Burton Cartels are a pretty popular mid-stiff all-around binding so you might want to investigate them.

Anyway hope that helps. I don't know nearly as much / have as much experience as some people on this site, but I definitely love the Ride Machete.
m0rph3us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weipim View Post
however i di recommend u a camber board for better fundamental technique learning so u trade off lesrning curve speed for skill profficiency
I don't agree with this. I originally had this view but pretty much every instructor or salesperson or random dude on the chair I've asked has just said to find something you enjoy riding, irrespective of camber or rocker, and go with that.
m0rph3us is offline   Reply With Quote