Powder snow carving board help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dongypro

Default Powder snow carving board help!

Hi, I currently have a 156 Custom X 2008 version with C60 bindings and its like magic ! But the thing is I plan to go to Japan sometime around December to the powder snows in Hokkaido. I heard the snow there is awesome and Im wondering whether or not I should save up for a board. Currently I use the 156 with bindings inwards (sorry i dont know how the F2 F4 things work) but I've adjusted them to my preference.
I weigh around 65kg and the 156 is probably just right or a little bit big for me? Maybe.. but its still good for me because I like high speeds.
Anyway Im just wondering whether or not I should save up for a powder board instead? Would I have to buy a longer board and by how much? I heard that burton's custom x is still good for pow snow too but i wanna hear from the pros out there that have been to some powder
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ya, the Neversummer Summit is an awesome pow board. Especially if you are doing tree riding. It rides smaller than it is and turns on a dime. Prerequisites for tree riding. I am of course partial to the Summit as I own one that I use for backcountry riding.

In addition to the above mentioned boards from Wolfy, you might look at a rocker board. The K2 Gyrator is a very fun pow board. You have to stay pretty centered on it in firm conditions or you will get dumped. In pow, it excels and is a lot of fun. Other rocker boards would be good, but I would look at one that is designed for pow riding vs those that are more park oriented. Either will work but you'll get more out of pow designs.

Also, on the swallow tail/split tail designs. As far as I have seen they are still the best for true pow riding. You are a cruise missile on one of those and everyone will be trying to catch up. The drawbacks are that the split tail can get damaged fairly easily and these are pretty much pow specific boards. Firm, hardpack, icy conditions they just suck on them. Even with bc riding you will hit firm conditions. Out trails, luge runs, that sort of thing. You can do it, but it's just something to consider when getting a swallow tail. They are probably the most specialized of the pow boards.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote