New Board 5"9" 175 lbs 8.5 boot size - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board 5"9" 175 lbs 8.5 boot size

I have a 2009 gnu riders choice 157.5 BTX waist 25.3 cm. It's rocker only no camber with magna traction. I intend to keep for deep powder days.

I'm looking for an all mountain board freeride board. I usually ride in trees and off-piste unless conditions are bad then I ride step fast groomers. I only hit that park if its on my way to the lift but, I only hit the jumps no rails or anything. I want a mid stiff board that can charge groomers and tracked powder and land 5-15 ft drops.

Things i want to change:

Edge hold: My current board has too little edge hold on step packed snow & ice. I think going to a hybrid camber/rocker design will help that.

Turn initiation: My board seems like its just to hard to turn. Especially at slower speeds on step bumped up chopped up terrain. Also in the trees and moguls, I wish i could spin my board around faster. Maybe going with a board with a little bit smaller waist and length will help.

Weight: This isn't as important but my board seems a little heavy. My new board doesn't have to be the lightest but not the heaviest either.

If i had to buy a board right now I'd probably go with a 156 cm gnu billy goat. It's 156cm long. waist is 24.8 cm flex 6.5 with good dampening. I think it will help with both my major problems with my old board. It's a little smaller length and width wise to help with turn initiation, but stiffer and C2-BTX to get better edge hold while going smaller.

Other boards i'm looking at
154.5 gnu riders choice. waist 24.8 cm flex 5.5 Don't no much about a.s.s. but it sound like it would work.

154 LIB Jamie Lynn Phenix waist 24.9 flex 6

155 LIB Dark series waist 24.9 cm flex 7

I dont have to go with a Mervin board but i trust them. Looked through never summer boards none seem to have combination of length(154-157) and waist (less than 25.0 cm).

I'm from New Orleans so can't demo boards. I do 1-3 trips a year out west 10-25 days a year on the snow, don't wana waste a day of riding to demo boards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NOLA Pdub; 01-24-2013 at 12:55 PM.
NOLA Pdub is offline   Reply With Quote