Custom X Equivalents? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

work at 3am? sorry man
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

no worries brudda, i count myself as lucky. snowboarding can get expensive,lol.
bordsmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd second the Lib Dark for being comprable to the CX. The Dark has a little compromise being c2btx instead of camber, but the added benefit of float and with MTX, the edge hold is there. The other thing with the Dark is it has built in risers so there is a lot of response edge to edge. The risers along with the mtx IMO also cause people to feel the board is hooky. Personally I don't find it hooky, but also relaize it take less effort to make a turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordsmnj View Post
not to hijack but since we share the same preference in boards what bindings are you liking for these? i've been out of snowboarding for a few years.
I'm running Targas on my Dark this season and Raiden Machines on my Kessler Ride.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have a 2009 Custom X and bought a 12/13 Ride Highlife which on these forums people said was comparable. I was not dissapointed. The board is AMAZING. It's hybrid but works wonders both in Powder and on Hard packed groomers. While in Powder I found myself not having to lean back nearly at all to keep the tip up. On Groomers I can haul ass and it cuts through ice just fine. No problems. I don't even ride my CX anymore. Plus its cheaper than the CX.

I paired it with some Union MC's lightweight bindings and I just fly down the hill. Though I think that has little to do with the bindings =P

Last edited by GreatMilenko; 01-25-2013 at 11:50 AM.
GreatMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordsmnj View Post
not to hijack but since we share the same preference in boards what bindings are you liking for these? i've been out of snowboarding for a few years.
My favorite are the Burton C60s but they stopped making them last year. If you can find a used set in good shape, they're a really nice binding. I just mounted Burton Diodes to my current board and they're quite similar in feel to the C60s. Also cheaper than the C60s were!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

thanks for so many replies so quickly!

i understand that if it feels right, i should just go and buy it. but as a junkie for new tech and anything novel, i love doing my research first. plus, this season i realized in ~7 years since i started snowboarding, i have not bought a single burton product ONCE (hard and soft goods included). superfluous, but something that apparently enough people find interesting given how monstrously big the company is.

plus, i was brought up anti-burton so i think i have a natural inclination towards other brands anyway (don't want to start a flame war here; they make good products).

anyway, back on-topic. regarding the dark series, is the MTX on it as noticeable as the rider's choice? i know mervin boards all have it but to different degrees. i didn't like the feel of it when i carved, but i agree that it also felt like i can rail my turns more easily on it, possibly because it feels like unless you do so, the MTX just locks you in too much.

as for bindings, i do like my flows for charging because i think the cable system does work in edge-to-edge response.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

IIRC the dark has the most aggressive mtx, it works well with the board though. To much/not enough mtx is completely subjective though.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
Hey guys,

So a lot of my boards in the past have been more freestyle-oriented (2011 Arbor Westmark 156, 2012 Gnu Rider's Choice 151.5, 2012 Rome Mod Rocker 153) and I'm looking for something more for all-mountain/free-ride. A board that I can take out to the Rockies (I'm from the East) and just have a blast charging down the mountains, but also not wasted on icy groomers back home.

I rode my friend's Custom X 156 and I liked it; it felt very aggressive to the point where it felt like it wanted to always point down the trail. Someone in a shop said it might be because the board was too big but I've ridden the same size before without that feeling.

I did enjoy it overall as even when I was gaining ungodly amounts of speed and it felt hard to turn, I never felt I was losing control. I wanted to see what else compares to it. At the shop someone recommended that I look at the following if I was looking for an all-mountain free-ride:

1. Burton Aftermath (looks pretty solid)
2. Salomon Villain (park board? Looks a bit more flexible than my Mod)
3. Ride Berzerker (showed me this when I asked about boards comparable to the Cobra or SL)
4. Ride Buckwild (showed me this when he couldn't find a Berzerker in my size)

Does anyone have any experience with these boards? What else would you guys recommend as boards equivalent in flex, camber, and purpose to the Custom X?

Thanks in advance!
Nitro Pantera if you can get one
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote