Custom X Equivalents? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Custom X Equivalents?

Hey guys,

So a lot of my boards in the past have been more freestyle-oriented (2011 Arbor Westmark 156, 2012 Gnu Rider's Choice 151.5, 2012 Rome Mod Rocker 153) and I'm looking for something more for all-mountain/free-ride. A board that I can take out to the Rockies (I'm from the East) and just have a blast charging down the mountains, but also not wasted on icy groomers back home.

I rode my friend's Custom X 156 and I liked it; it felt very aggressive to the point where it felt like it wanted to always point down the trail. Someone in a shop said it might be because the board was too big but I've ridden the same size before without that feeling.

I did enjoy it overall as even when I was gaining ungodly amounts of speed and it felt hard to turn, I never felt I was losing control. I wanted to see what else compares to it. At the shop someone recommended that I look at the following if I was looking for an all-mountain free-ride:

1. Burton Aftermath (looks pretty solid)
2. Salomon Villain (park board? Looks a bit more flexible than my Mod)
3. Ride Berzerker (showed me this when I asked about boards comparable to the Cobra or SL)
4. Ride Buckwild (showed me this when he couldn't find a Berzerker in my size)

Does anyone have any experience with these boards? What else would you guys recommend as boards equivalent in flex, camber, and purpose to the Custom X?

Thanks in advance!
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rossi experience or jones flagship. Smokin kt22.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

didn't read your post but:

lib tech - t.rice

arbor - a-frame

ride - highlife

just search hard charging boards, positive camber if you'd life but a combo can still do the job
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Now this is my kinda thread! I too enjoy hard charging camber freeride boards. Here are some options in the down to earth catagory of boards (i.e. Sub-$1000)

Prior Mens Freeride - Freeride Snowboard Model For Men From Prior Snowboards | All Mountain Snowboard | Whistler BC Canada

Volkl Coal XT - Völkl International | Snowboards | *Coal XT

Jones Flagship - The Flagship

Of course there's nothing wrong with the Custom X itself.

If you want to get into ultra high performance boards there are some good freeride options over $1000, but unless you're riding the rockies on a reguar basis that might be overkill...
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

i would love to get my hands on one of those Volkl coal xt's! i ride mostly a "Burner" from salomon and a few others(fastback, definition, special II) it does the free ride thing extremely well and feel a size smaller than they are. traditionaly effective edges were a bit longer(like 5cm!) than they are now. always wanted to try a custom x until a shop employee the other day pointed out that stupid bump in the rail line for ice? i would still try one,though. also some of the other free ride boards i see around here like the Donek saber or incline and above. after vewing the links a like your taste in boards.

Last edited by bordsmnj; 01-25-2013 at 03:06 AM.
bordsmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
My husband has a Custom X...I told him about this thread. He said just get the Custom X. lol He loves his.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
didn't read your post but:

lib tech - t.rice

arbor - a-frame

ride - highlife

just search hard charging boards, positive camber if you'd life but a combo can still do the job
For Lib-tech, the Jamie Lynn (especially the C3 classic) and the Dark Series are closer comparables to the Custom X than the T. Rice.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Now this is my kinda thread! I too enjoy hard charging camber freeride boards. Here are some options in the down to earth catagory of boards (i.e. Sub-$1000)

Prior Mens Freeride - Freeride Snowboard Model For Men From Prior Snowboards | All Mountain Snowboard | Whistler BC Canada

Volkl Coal XT - Völkl International | Snowboards | *Coal XT

Jones Flagship - The Flagship

If you want to get into ultra high performance boards there are some good freeride options over $1000, but unless you're riding the rockies on a reguar basis that might be overkill...
not to hijack but since we share the same preference in boards what bindings are you liking for these? i've been out of snowboarding for a few years.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't have a lot of personal experience with bindings but to me - for a freeride charger, I think that the Rome Targas would suit any of the boards listed above, as well as the union chargers, I also always love some burton cartels with any hard charging boards. buddy has some rome arsenals which he loves, says they're super stiff. if you like flow, the nx2 series, gnu choice as well. id also pick up some stiff boots, burton driverx or something.

Last edited by WasatchMan; 01-25-2013 at 03:43 AM.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

i have to leave for work but i will start another thread for bindig discussion. i have a ton of questions,lol.