new All Mountain setup?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new All Mountain setup??

Im looking for a new setup. Ive had my old board for about 6 years now (a Rossignol, but i cant remember the name of it), so its looking pretty beat up and its time for a new one. I have never been much into the tech side of snowboarding, so the last couple of days have been eye opening as I try to make sense of different company's technologies. Ive done some research, and I believe I am looking for a cambered or alternative cambered Freeride board.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 180 lbs
Location: I live in the northeast and get about 20 days of riding a year, plus a weekend or 2 out west.
Budget: <650 for a deck, <250 for bindings
Riding Experience: 10 years of riding
Riding style: I like riding aggressively and tree skiing is my favorite. I rarely go to the park, but i dont mind doing small-medium jumps but not much spinning, and the occasional rail and box. I also love steeps and going fast as possible. I prefer mid-flex to stiff boards, that can really hold a good carve even in very packed and icy conditions, and have quick turning ability.

I was looking at these boards, and was wondering what the general consensus was or if there were any other suggestions. I probably wont get a chance to demo any, as I want to order soon since I have a trip to Park City coming up.

Possibilities:
ride berzerker
ride highlife ul
never summer cobra
never summer heritage
rossignol one magtek

Thanks for the help!
mtnbike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unless you are riding powder alot, which I doubt in the east here, I would cross the NS Cobra and Berzerker off your list.

Are you looking for directional or twin?

Few others to consider:

Custom X
Rome Anthem/Mod/Agent
Arbor Coda
Capita BSOD
Signal Omni
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lib Tech T Rice and the Gnu Billy Goat could both be good options for you. You also might want to consider the Never Summer Premier F1 or Raptor if you're going for pure freeride/all mountain.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbike16 View Post
Riding style: I like riding aggressively and tree skiing is my favorite. I rarely go to the park, but i dont mind doing small-medium jumps but not much spinning, and the occasional rail and box. I also love steeps and going fast as possible. I prefer mid-flex to stiff boards, that can really hold a good carve even in very packed and icy conditions, and have quick turning ability.
Thanks for the help!
Arbor A-Frame.

Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Status Focus.

2012 FOCUS Series : STATUS Snowboard Company
baddmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you ride a lot of switch the Highlife UL will probably be a bit weird at first (as will any of the hybrid profile hard chargers). Which isn't to chase you away from it, but just to make you aware that an elongated rocker nose with micro-camber from feet to tail is gonna feel different when you make switch turns.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

the rossignol one magtek is awesome for all mountain shredding, the magnetraction is fantastic in ice but not too grippy. i got burton cartel re:flex bindings to go along with my board, i am very satisfied with the results!
blockay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm the same size and ride the same region and if I were you I'd get on a Nitro Eero 159 with Raiden Machine Bindings. I don't ride enough all mountain to justify buying one myself, but if I didn't spend a lot of time in the park this would be my ideal all mountain set up.

RC hybrids are very limiting, here on the east coast, especially if you're a super agressive down hiller.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote