Is this enough maintenance? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this enough maintenance?

So I've just ordered my first ever board, the Arbor Westmark. I probably spent more on my first set up than I should have... so I want to make sure I look after it well. I would like this board to last a while. (although it will only be used 6-12 days a year)

I am going to the French Alps for 6 days riding this march, I was planning on detuning the nose and tail, and riding the factory wax. Then storing it in my bedroom for the summer, and taking it for a service just before I go next season, and before every holiday after that.

Will it be fine to ride the factory wax for 6 days? I am only an intermediate at this point, with the aim to progress when I get out in march. And is this level of maintenance enough to keep my board healthy for years to come?
Jammy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

probably not on factory wax...

another nice tip is to wipe the edges down after your day. i even rub them with a little bar of wax to coat them from Oxygen
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know it's long, but skim through the general maintenence sticky. Lots of good info there. Although you can ride you're board on the factory "wax" I never would as waxing your board isn't difficult and is healthy for your base. I would also never go six days without a wax. I wax mine between 3 and 4 days depending on conditions. I also recommend waxing your board before storage at the end of the season to prevent your base from drying out.
BackLip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some here will say "That's fine, just ride it and enjoy", but I am not of that school of thought.

For me the bare minimum would be.

1. Hot wax before your trip. Factory wax is lame at best and good for no more than one day max.

2. Hot wax it before you put it away for the season. Do not scrape it. Leave the wax on it for the summer and ask for your edges to be covered as well. (Helps prevent rust )

3. Scape it just before you go to use it next season.

Repeat seasonally.

I wax after every 3 days. Some wax more often, some not at all. Your Westmark has an extruded base and can go longer between waxes than a sintered base. But if you want to get the best out of the board over the life of the board, 1 to 3 is your absolute minimum.

Have fun with your new ride !!!!
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I live in a tiny apartment where i store my board behind the couch. So waxing and scraping isnt feasible here.

So my question is how long would it take to wax my board at the mountain, and is that something they typically do on site?

I could prob buy an iron and a scraper and do it in the hall but my neighbors would probably rat me out.
nomembername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomembername View Post
I live in a tiny apartment where i store my board behind the couch. So waxing and scraping isnt feasible here.

So my question is how long would it take to wax my board at the mountain, and is that something they typically do on site?

I could prob buy an iron and a scraper and do it in the hall but my neighbors would probably rat me out.
Probably the ideal way for you to do it in your situation is to just iron the wax in your apt and scrape it in the parking lot when you get to the mountain.

They can do it onsite but it will cost you both time and money.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

scraping a cold board outside in the cold... sucks. for you and the board.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yea I would totally never do it, but I was just offering a realistic solution for his dilemma.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote