GNU Park Pickle vs Nitro Team Gullwing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GNU Park Pickle vs Nitro Team Gullwing

I have a Nitro Team Gullwing 157 (last years model) which is my all mountain board. I have a Salmon Drift rocker 148 for the park.

The local board store has a huge sale. I am looking at the Gnu park pickle 154 for a single reason: I think 157 is a bit to long for having all the fun out there.

I am 5'6" and 140lbs. And as I said this board is for groomers, powder, jumping and all other playable fun all over the mountain. Next week I am going to Salt Lake City for, hopefully, 8 days of powder fun.

Is the Gnu more playful than the Nitro, but still handle carving groomers at high speed. And not the least keep me floating and having fun in Solitudes powder?
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just to clearify. I am not a bomber down the hill but I would like to keep up with my ski friends in the groomer runs.
Then I like to ride in the woods, in powder and playing around. Occasionally in the park with this board/friends and then only jumps.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I found the Pickle to be lackluster and despite magne and asym to not hold a great edge heelside. It just felt low on energy.

What other deals they got?

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I had a Nitro TG and really loved that board. Felt like it was on the softer edge of medium flex, fast, and pretty fun everywhere. The Pickle really isn't going to be all that different.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I found the Pickle to be lackluster and despite magne and asym to not hold a great edge heelside. It just felt low on energy.

What other deals they got?
There is a 50% off on everything in the store. The three board I found interesting was:
- Burton Process Flying V 154
- Forum Youngblood doubledog 154
- Gnu Park Pickle 153
Since the forum and burton board are so similat to mine, only 3 cm shorter, I was more into the Gnu board.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
I had a Nitro TG and really loved that board. Felt like it was on the softer edge of medium flex, fast, and pretty fun everywhere. The Pickle really isn't going to be all that different.
In your opinion is the Pickle stiffer than the Nitro?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a park pickle, coming from camber it was my first move into the "new camber/rocker era".
I think the word park in its name gives it a bad rep. It is medium+ flex wise so it widdens its program.

Contrary to what Nivek said i find the edgehold perfect.

So all in all, I use it as a do everything board, it's playfull you can just goof around on the slopes and it is stiff enough and with a good edgehold so you can speed with it as well.

if I ride with snowboarders I pick this board, If I'll spend the day with skiers who'll just spend the day bombing I tend to take my cambered/tapered board though.
the most versatile of the two being the pickle.
steppinrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

^+1
The Pickle is actually quite good in edge hold IMHO. Not as good as freeride specific camber boards but good on the groomers. It is also pretty playful; however, it is not a soft flex, it is somewhere just below medium flex making it good for groomer and park. Something like a Capita Horrorscope, now that's a soft board!
AssassinMonLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Magna traction is a divider. Some people think they have a great edge hold and some people think they are rubbish. Since I never tried a board with magna traction I havn't made an opinion yet - hopefully I try soon.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinMonLV View Post
^+1
The Pickle is actually quite good in edge hold IMHO. Not as good as freeride specific camber boards but good on the groomers. It is also pretty playful; however, it is not a soft flex, it is somewhere just below medium flex making it good for groomer and park. Something like a Capita Horrorscope, now that's a soft board!
I had better grip from the Flow Era and Salomon Sabotage than a Pickle. You dont use fine tune edge control with magne. It doesnt allow for it. So you cant pressure the board in strange conditions to make it react differently. Magne turns the way it turns. That's a big reason I've never liked it.

I think of your options the Forum is your best bet. And though its only just over an inch shorter, going from 57 to 54 is a completely different Flex catagory. It will be more versatile in the sense it'll handle jibbing around better than your gullwing.

If it were me I'd replace the Nitro with the Forum, then next season save up for something like a Powder Snake or something bigger and directional. Build a quiver.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote