Neversummer Lotus: My Wife Hated It :( - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Right, yeah that's how you use camber to power through turns. Do that on RC and you'll wash out. Stay centered on RC and use the boards spring and sidecut to power through turns. At the most you can move your weight between your feet, but through it into the tip and you'll loose it.
Totally disagree. How can you use the board's spring and sidecut if you don't shift your weight? You'll only be using the rockered part of the board's edge which would be the most unstable part. The sidecut starts at the contact points which are obviously towards the tips of the board. You need to move your weight fore and aft to use the whole of the effective edge particularly as the cambered parts are raised due to the rocker in the centre. You certainly need it on steeps or you would be on your ass.

Last edited by fatbob; 01-28-2013 at 02:18 AM.
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All of your grip on anything with center rocker is from foot to foot, not your contact pts. Boards like the Nug proved that. Its contact pts are completely blown out, and if you know what you're doing that deck grips just fine. Arbors griptech gives you contact pts under foot, exactly where you need them, frostbite-underfoot, equalizer shifts your control away from the conact pts to your feet, Romes quickgrip puts it just outside your feet. There's a reason NS variogrip focus your control between your feet. Drive into the tip and you take the pressure off your front foot. In doing so, because of the center rocker, you release pressure on the whole front half of your effective edge. So I'll say again, at most you can move your weight from foot to foot, but if you drive into your tip you cut your effective edge in half and at the very least you wont be turning all that hard, and you're more likely to wash out.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

I have no knowledge of the boards you mention just the NS boards I've been riding, so I bow down to your superior knowledge of different board tech. You still have to engage the board's edge through some fore and aft or you're simply only using the rocker part of the edge?

What sort of turns are you talking about? Carving you only really need to put pressure on the outsides of the feet when using fore and aft. On steeps you require more dynamic fore and aft which does create wash by it's nature as you start the end of the turn as soon as you cross the fall line.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #24 (permalink)

i learned on a very stiff santa cruz true camber board and rode only it for 4 years and i just bought a reverse camber board that is smaller and softer.

the first day sucked...i felt all out of whack and squirly going slow or fast didn't really matter. my calves were killing me and i just didn't feel comfortable. i was really bummed.

next session and a few rides in and i totally love the board now. just gotta get used to it, its a bit different than camber boards, but eventually you learn to enjoy it. i think you can learn to enjoy any board for that matter.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob View Post
I have no knowledge of the boards you mention just the NS boards I've been riding, so I bow down to your superior knowledge of different board tech. You still have to engage the board's edge through some fore and aft or you're simply only using the rocker part of the edge?

What sort of turns are you talking about? Carving you only really need to put pressure on the outsides of the feet when using fore and aft. On steeps you require more dynamic fore and aft which does create wash by it's nature as you start the end of the turn as soon as you cross the fall line.
Its simple, stay centered on RC and you're engaging the whole edge at once. Get outside your feet and you begin decreasing the amount of effective edge you're engaging. The rocker zone on Never Summer in particular stops just where your last insert is. Having the camber after that means you dont have to push your weight all the way into the contact pts like with tradtional camber to properly engage the tips. The camber does it for you when you drive straight into the board under each foot. On top of that, once weighted anything with dominant center rocker has the most edge pressure between your feet. Thats why variogrip puts a straight section right in the middle of the sidecut, thats where you have the most edge pressure. Thwoing your weight around on RC is really just inefficient.

Also, buy my things?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Debate is good as it questions you. Just stood on my board and saw how the board flattened along the length. You say in a previous post about moving weight from foot to foot is that not fore and aft movement? You can't ride centered the whole time, particularly not on steeps.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Debate is good as it questions you. Just stood on my board and saw how the board flattened along the length. You say in a previous post about moving weight from foot to foot is that not fore and aft movement? You can't ride centered the whole time, particularly not on steeps.
You can't ride centered all the time but you shouldn't shift your center of mass past your feet as you were suggesting.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^^^ That's what I'm sayin.

Also, buy my things?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Think things have got lost in translation here. Movement only needs to be to the outsides of the feet to use fore and aft, like on a diagonal sideslip, not as if you're doing a tail or nose press. Dynamic fore and aft on steeps now that's a different kettle of fish.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Think things have got lost in translation here. Movement only needs to be to the outsides of the feet to use fore and aft, like on a diagonal sideslip, not as if you're doing a tail or nose press. Dynamic fore and aft on steeps now that's a different kettle of fish.
Having ridden camber for 10 years before RC tech, I think I get what you are trying to say, but the point Nivek is making is that with NS RC tech, you can't ride it like camber and drive into the front of the board as much as with camber because even when you do this on camber the rear half of the sidecut still remains engaged, whereas on RC the rear half of the sidecut will disengage doing the same thing. Its hard to describe exactly but there was definitely an adjustment period when I first switched when I was washing out a lot more because I was using excessive fore movement being used to camber.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote