The future of snowboarding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Hammer

Default The future of snowboarding

Hey all,

My name is Britt Ashcraft and I am a product designer by profession but love to snowboard in my free time. This is a project I did on the side looking into what the future of snowboarding could be. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowboard page 1.jpg (77.0 KB, 65 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
NickNorth11

I think a lot of us like being different, at least to some degree, so the translucent board might not be a hit with many. Boots cost a fortune as it is and work great, so computerizing them seems superfluous. The glove doesn't make too much sense to me, with the buttons on the palm. The goggles are a great idea. Everything about the goggles seems great.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

very futuristic looking but not too practical. could be props for a sci-fi movie.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Danimal!!!!!!

Location: Frederick, MD in other words to far from the big mountains

Yea dude sorry to say but thats stuff is just a little over the top, there is no need for translucent boards or LEDs on boots. And I think that even the goggles and above and beyond anything that might be affordable let alone practical.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Great ideas, but I can see so many of those functions failing quite quickly, especially with how aggressive some people are with their equipment. Too many buttons and doohicky's is just asking for problems.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Danimal!!!!!!

Location: Frederick, MD in other words to far from the big mountains

I mean in the amount of time I've been on this board I've seen several of these thread come through, but the thing is all of them brach so far out past what is really useable technology when applied to this sport. I could see a HUD being applicable in like fashion sunglasses butonce again you would have to make it so slimline and it would take a while to make it word in that industry as well.

Personally I think that these guys have seen one to many Scifi movies. Alot this stuff just isn't possible at this point in time and even if it does someday become and option then It still won't be a practical thing.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wow those look like craptacular inventions. How do LED lights improve the function of my boots? Wow I can see through my board. Neat-o. Too bad it's such a noodle that I can't ride this 50 degree chute. Performance is all that matters. Bling is crap and you are already going the wrong direction. I am sure 5th graders will love this stuff.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

what you should be inventing is entertaining chairlifts, for the youth can't just can't sit around and wait.
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

the board being translucent is just plain blaaahhhh, now give me a board that is completely transparent and then we are talking , "shit where did I left my board" .

This just sounds to me like a bunch of propaganda, invest your time money making me a lighter, more responsive board, one that has great pop and floats like air (but it's still affordable, not like Burton's Vapor). Or light cloths that warm you up like the thick ones do.

Oh and those goggles like so uncomfortable. I would also rather see a temperature/compass display, rather than the name of a song.

Things need to be practical in order to get people to buy them, and this just plain looks like a concept car that never makes it into production.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mountain Breed

[QUOTE=

This just sounds to me like a bunch of propaganda, invest your time money making me a lighter, more responsive board, one that has great pop and floats like air (but it's still affordable, not like Burton's Vapor). Or light cloths that warm you up like the thick ones do.
[/QUOTE]

I back that...