Super Awesome deck needed! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Super Awesome deck needed!

Ok so here goes:

I'm new here and have read A LOT (all day in fact) in the forums. I am looking for advice on a new board. Basically I have been riding a 10 year old cambered board and it's time I buy myself something nicer. I would consider myself a solid intermediate rider. I board in Tahoe area mostly and have pretty much an aggressive freeride style. I like to bomb down groomers and occasionally venture off into some powder. I hardly ever go to the park and mostly just hit some side jumps and small kickers. My goal however, is to eventually start learning to jump off some bigger kickers and add some spins and what have you.

I am 6'2'' and 220-230 lbs
I wear a size 12 boot
I have blonde hair

For me budget is not an issue but I'm not stuck on the most expensive must be the best. I rode a Lib Skunk Apes 169 and I liked it a lot. I really like the magnetraction. I am not stuck on a Mervin board but I do like them and I love the C2 profile. I am about to undergo an extreme kind of weight loss thing and am hoping (aren't we all) to be around 210 lbs before the end of the season and hopefully around 200 by next season. My concern with the Skunk Apes is that it might be too wide? I know I have big feet my boots have Shrinkage or whatever so they are supposed to effectively be a size less. The 169 did seem a little harder to initiate turns. If I did go for the SA would a 164 be a better fit? What about a T.Rice Pro 164.5? What are the main differences between these boards besides width?

Sorry if I'm rambling but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!!!

Last edited by BrendanMorgan; 01-27-2013 at 03:12 AM.
BrendanMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Add the Nidecker Ultralight 167XL to your shortlist. While I have written about my experience with this board in some more specific threads, i havent really gone around posting this recommendation in other threads as much as I probably should, mostly because I just dont care enough.

Based on your riding style, size, budget etc. I'd be willing to bet it would be your best choice, or at the very least among them. The only issue is that they are hard to come by. Very hard.

Do the research find a dealer, and drop the cash. Compared to the Nidecker all other boards I've owned have just been imitations.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you really want Mervin boards there are a heap to choose from that i would choose over the skunk ape (i've owned one). The T Rice is fun, as is the TRS and Gnu Riders Choice.

Personally after riding those boards i have switched to the Ride Berzerker and love it, really stable, great pop, awesome edge hold and pretty damn fast. It is a little narrower than the skunk ape and really rides completely different.

I like the camber profile of the berzerker more than C2 and BTX it just feels a lot more stable and easier to pop off natural features, easier to land confidently too in my opinion.

Anyway thats my input, you should really do a fair bit of searching on this forum as this question has been asked a fair bit.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Based on your riding style, size, budget etc. I'd be willing to bet it would be your best choice, or at the very least among them. The only issue is that they are hard to come by. Very hard.
Thanks for your input. I had not even heard of Nidecker boards before. They seem like sick boards but man, you weren't kidding when you said they were hard to find. It looks like I might have to wait for next season before more boards are in stock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
If you really want Mervin boards there are a heap to choose from that i would choose over the skunk ape (i've owned one). The T Rice is fun, as is the TRS and Gnu Riders Choice.

Personally after riding those boards i have switched to the Ride Berzerker and love it, really stable, great pop, awesome edge hold and pretty damn fast. It is a little narrower than the skunk ape and really rides completely different.
Thanks, I had not considered Ride yet. They seem like a good choice as well. Man....so many options....
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanMorgan View Post
Thanks for your input. I had not even heard of Nidecker boards before. They seem like sick boards but man, you weren't kidding when you said they were hard to find. It looks like I might have to wait for next season before more boards are in stock...
Yup...thats why i bought two of the exact same model just in case something happens to one of them.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would look at something shorter then a 169, I'm 6'1+ 220 and ride a 162 and 160
Clayton Bigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

You should take a look at Never Summer Heritage 160cm. It sounds perfect for what you're looking for. It'll handle the powder days, it'll will take those bomb runs easily, and will do really well on Big Kickers. I would also recommend looking at the Ride DH as well.
AssassinMonLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow. 160 seems pretty short for my size...
I do want to be able to turn a little easier and I would like to ride switch better. I guess the shorter length would be nice for spins but I was thinking more along the lines of 164-165.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow. 160 seems pretty short for my size...
I do want to be able to turn a little easier and I would like to ride switch better. I guess the shorter length would be nice for spins but I was thinking more along the lines of 164-165.
Not really. Size is just a matter of preference. I'm 6"1 and ride the Heritage 155. I may have clouded my opinion through my personal preference. The best way to figure out what you like is the demo days! You're at Tahoe, they must have demo days going on. Go up their, look at the boards, try them out and if you like them buy it.
AssassinMonLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok so here goes:

I am 6'2'' and 220-230 lbs
I wear a size 12 boot
I have blonde hair
I guess I'll be the one to say it, but whats the color of your hair have to do with snowboarding ?
budderbear is offline   Reply With Quote