Tall big footed beginner first setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 04:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tall big footed beginner first setup

Hi, i tried boarding for the first time this year in Hakuba, Japan and it was awesome! So much that i'm convinced to get a setup that will treat me well as i progress with skill. I'll plan to do weekend trips in Victoria, Australia and maybe go once a year or two to Japan or NZ.

Feet size (28cm): Apparently i should be US size 10 but all the US shoes i have are 12 or UK 46. I tried my friends snowboard boot size 12 and my toe slightly presses to the end (forgot what model).

Height: 184 cm / 6ft

Weight: 72kg / 158 lb

Budget $500-550 (US pricing)

I still need to learn a lot like making my turns narrow and faster. I need something that will be great for all mountain easy riding but also support me as my skills progress to hopefully trying some basic tricks. I'm thinking of getting a Burton King 158 (~$200) or a Ride Dose (~$260) Then i might get the same bindings as my mate - Union Data (~$120). The size choices are M/L or L/XL. I dunno what will be good for my feet since i have trouble finding out what my regular casual shoe size are. That's why i show my measured feet size cause all these foreign sizing systems are confusing. But i'm skeptical on the international shoe sizing chart as it says a 28cm should be size 10 (US) - no possible way i could even fit an 11 (US). Will i be ok with L/XL binding size? As for boots i have no idea so i'd like to hear some suggestions that will work with the rest of the setup.

Last edited by Movendi; 06-23-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Movendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

You definatly need a L/XL binding:
UNION BINDINGS Data

Those are some of the best binders out there (said in a hick accent)

You need to find a store that has boots and try them on. Size 12 shoe and size 10 boot...that's a big spread. And all manufacturers fit differently.

As for a board have you looked at the Forum or Capita?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the informative replies . Maybe i should clear up that i'm in no way to start doing any tricks on my next run to the mountains but eventually when i gain my confidence i'll try small jumps and maybe rails. As for now i should master my foundational freeriding technique. That's where i thought the Burton king might be beneficial since it has a softer flex and forgiving on turn mistakes. I understand the more stiffer, the more responsive and more prone to wiping out when you don't have enough skill. I guess if i get something inbetween that has medium stiffness it will allow me to start doing tricks. But main priority is for free riding 80% over freestyle 20% for my first board. On the next i'll get something that's 50/50. Haven't heard much about the atomic boards but they look pretty sweet. Not sure what tech data i'm suppose to be looking at though.

Looking at the boards i like Rome Flag, Alibi Wide (although seems to be more freestyle) and the rapture looks to be good all round. I like how alibi can support any surfaces especially icy since the snow in victoria, oz aren't ideal but how well would it be if i mainly use it as freeride? Perhaps rome flag/rapture would be better. I think i'll go with a 157 since i'll mainly be doing freeride with small doses of trying tricks. Also any thoughts about the burton custom w 157? These all fall under the intermediate+ category and i've only boarded once so i'm not sure if getting one will help me to learn if i'm always wiping out.

Any particular reason to choose Rome 390's over Union data?

Last edited by Movendi; 06-24-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
con3593

Snowwolf definitely knows his stuff, I'd personally recommend Rome, but you can trust snowwolf
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nice, All of them should give me great results but i think i'll try to get the custom 157 since it's got sweet graphics. I probably shouldn't go by the looks but it seems like it'll do me well. Again thanks for the advice and motivation to haul ass!