Advice on a new board..... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on a new board.....

I've been riding Palmer Carbon Circles for the last 10-12 years and like a stiff board since I usually just bomb groomers and like to feel stable at speed. While I have no complaints about either of the two Carbon circles that I've owned I was thinking about a Travis Rice Lib Tech board (it sounds like a petty stiff deck) since I live in the midwest which gets a bit icey and magnetraction would be a nice benefit. Lib Tech seems to have a really good rep and I'm wondering if this would be a good replacement for my current board.

I'm not sure how magnetraction boards ride/turn but I don't want to have to learn how to board all over again if this is going to be too big of a change for me.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
PalmerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Someone like you should not buy rocker before you've ridden it. The Rice is not overly stiff and is made as a high end power freestyle board. Not a freeride carver.

You either need to just buy traditional camber again, or go demo some rocker stuff.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just retired my Palmer Honeycomb after 9 seasons. It's a downer they don't import Palmer to the USA anymore. My new ride is a Nidecker Ultralight and I love it. It's stiff, but not too stiff as to be dead feeling. It's super light and incredibly fast, it destroys groomers as well as powder. It also comes with Ultimate Grip which is Nidecker's patented edge design that would work great in the icy conditions you described. Fair warning, they're very difficult to get. They are worth it. Good luck.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Ultralight is a sick board. Nidecker makes a great product...they also make Jones, Yes and Slash. The Jones and Yes boards have the ultimate grip as well as the rocker/camber/rocker profile. I got a Yes pick your line and it is a vessel for awesome. The transition from a regular cambered board to the "ultimate-grip" (yes calls it tragna-maction, jones calls it mellow-magnetraction) was pretty painless too.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great point Banjo. The YES P.Y.L and the Jones Flagships are great boards too.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would be careful when getting a Slash/Jones/Yes. Seems like there has been quite a bit of quality control issues even though they are made by Nidecker. On EL someone showed a picture of a Slash Straight that seemed to be pressed the wrong direction with the rocker in the tail and none in the nose.
airblaster503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpjames 09 View Post
I just retired my Palmer Honeycomb after 9 seasons. It's a downer they don't import Palmer to the USA anymore. My new ride is a Nidecker Ultralight and I love it. It's stiff, but not too stiff as to be dead feeling. It's super light and incredibly fast, it destroys groomers as well as powder. It also comes with Ultimate Grip which is Nidecker's patented edge design that would work great in the icy conditions you described. Fair warning, they're very difficult to get. They are worth it. Good luck.
Ive heard good things about the ultralight. Do you think it is worth $800usd? I think i might get one
mr_____awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerFreak View Post
I've been riding Palmer Carbon Circles for the last 10-12 years and like a stiff board since I usually just bomb groomers and like to feel stable at speed. While I have no complaints about either of the two Carbon circles that I've owned I was thinking about a Travis Rice Lib Tech board (it sounds like a petty stiff deck) since I live in the midwest which gets a bit icey and magnetraction would be a nice benefit. Lib Tech seems to have a really good rep and I'm wondering if this would be a good replacement for my current board.

I'm not sure how magnetraction boards ride/turn but I don't want to have to learn how to board all over again if this is going to be too big of a change for me.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
No change, if you've been riding for that long.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mr Awesome, yes, absolutely it's worth $800. If you see one up close and feel how light it is you will agree. It really is a beautifully made board. It's performance backs up its good looks, the board simply kicks ass. It might be too late to get one for 2013, they sell out very fast due to the limited production. Try emailing Josh@nidecker.com He's great. Good luck
Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

So it appears that the 2014 Gnu Billy Goat is switching to C3-BTX which is a camber-dominant design and seems like a better option for me than the T. Rice.

So, has anyone here gone from a pure camber design to a C3-BTX design like the Lib Jamie Lynn Phoenix Classic? I'm trying to figure out how the C3-BTX deck compares to standard camber.

Thanks for any replies!!
PalmerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote